Overcoming injury, Emily Lee inspires UCLA gymnastics teammates

Emily Lee poses for a photo on UCLA’s campus. The UCLA gymnastics sophomore missed all of her freshman season with a torn Achilles sustained at the 2021 U.S. Olympic Trials, but Lee has become an integral member of the Bruins since her return. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

By Helene Barnfield

Emily Lee was on the verge of realizing her dream.

All that was left was her floor routine.

Lee stood as the last competitor on day two of the 2021 U.S. Olympic Trials. But for weeks leading up to the competition, she had been nursing an Achilles injury that caused her constant pain.

“I didn’t go to the doctors or anything because I was just like, ‘I’m going to push through anything at this point,’” Lee said. “My dream was to get to trials.”

And after limiting practice routines leading up to the meet, Lee accomplished exactly that. Everything was going according to plan throughout her first seven routines of the competition.

However, that all changed when the then-incoming UCLA gymnastics freshman went to attempt the first pass of her floor routine. At that moment, everything came tumbling down, as she crashed to the floor in a fall that resulted in her fully tearing her Achilles tendon.

For Lee, it marked an unbelievable way to end both her night and her elite career.

“I didn’t feel anything pain wise, … I just thought, ‘Oh my God, the floor is broken, like there’s not a spring there,’ or something,” Lee said. “And I was like, ‘I should get a redo.’”

That was until she realized she couldn’t walk.

From there, reality quickly began to set in, as Lee said the days following her injury involved pain that was unimaginable and rehab that truly tested her limits.

For many, this would be a nightmare they would do anything to go back and change.

However, Lee is adamant that she wouldn’t change the experience for the world.

While she recognizes that the Olympic Trials didn’t end the way she would have liked, it provided her with a journey that so few people get to have.

“I wouldn’t trade anything for that experience,” Lee said. “To compete against the best gymnasts in the world and to be included in trying to make the best team in the world, … if I knew it would happen, I would still do it.”

An unlikely start

(Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)
Lee is pictured performing a leap. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

Looking back, Lee’s first experience with gymnastics wasn’t typical, as she recalls first being introduced to the sport after her dad found a coupon in the newspaper for a free class at their local gym.

Initially, Lee’s dad thought learning a new sport would be a positive experience for his daughter.

He would quickly learn that maybe that wouldn’t be the case, as Lee remembers being absolutely terrified when she walked into the gym for the first time – so much so that she even started to cry.

From that point on, she didn’t even think about returning to the gym. That was until she started having playdates with a childhood friend who was in gymnastics.

“I would pick it up pretty fast,” Lee said.

With new skills under her belt, Lee asked her dad to take her back to the gym. This time there were no tears, as Lee quickly realized she was a natural at gymnastics.

From there, her dedication and love for the sport only grew. Gymnastics slowly became her life and the gym her second home.

“I wouldn’t be who I am if it weren’t for this sport. It’s pretty much taught me everything,” Lee said.

Gymnastics also provided Lee with unforgettable memories and opportunities, one of which was being able to commit to her dream school, UCLA, on a full-ride scholarship in the eighth grade.

Lee said reaching that mark was even more special considering the financial sacrifices her family made to keep her in the sport throughout the years.

“Gymnastics is a really expensive sport, so we weren’t in a place where it was just an extracurricular activity, because you have to pay tuition, you need leos (leotards), and travel,” Lee said. “And that’s all stuff that accumulates over time.”

That never stopped Lee – it just meant that she had to get creative at times in order to fund her dream. This issue was exacerbated during the pandemic, as the lack of income due to COVID-19 restrictions made it difficult financially for everyone at her hometown gym.

Because of this, she made it a point to pitch in where she could.

“I did private lessons with girls, … I did Instacart, I just tried to get as much money to help support those who backed my career,” Lee said.

Eventually, it all paid off, as Lee was able to help the families and coaches at her gym pay for some of their expenses as well as cover the rest of her own.

Making her mark at UCLA

(Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)
Lee is pictured outside the Broad Art Center. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

After having to sit her freshman year out because of the torn Achilles, Lee is wasting no time in her first collegiate season for the Bruins this year.

Putting up a minimum score of 9.900 on her last four beam routines and competing on three different events for the team, Lee has been a consistent leader for UCLA so far.

The sophomore also currently holds the leadoff position on two different events for the blue and gold, which is something coach Janelle McDonald says has been vital for the team’s success this season.

“She’s been an amazing leader for us the last couple of weeks on floor, but her leadoff position on beam … really sets a confident tone for the rest of the lineup,” McDonald said.

For Lee, this role is something she takes very seriously. She said the transition to collegiate gymnastics and the ability to be part of a team are things that truly motivate her to perform each week.

“It’s a different kind of pressure to compete for your teammates and have them trust you to put up good scores,” Lee said.

As Lee has come off her injury, her teammates recognize that drive. They’ve seen firsthand how far she’s come and just how hard she works in the gym each week.

Sophomore Emma Malabuyo said Lee’s journey has been nothing short of inspirational.

“It means a lot just seeing her last year working so hard on treatments and physical therapy. … I know she wanted to compete last year, so just to see her do amazing, … I’m really proud of her,” Malabuyo said.

In the last two years alone, Lee has learned a lot about herself and what she’s capable of, which is something she said has put a lot of things in perspective.

“There were so many times where I was like, ‘Why am I doing this?’ But I stuck with it, and now I get it,” Lee said. “Hard work definitely pays off.”

Helene Barnfield