Sunday, May 19, 2024

UCLA women’s tennis to face Rice led by former Bruin Elizabeth Schmidt

Kimmi Hance leans into a backhand stroke. The sophomore for UCLA women’s tennis has dropped her previous two singles contests, snapping her 13-match win streak in the format. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)

Women's Tennis

Rice
Friday, 1 p.m.

The Santaluz Club (San Diego, CA)
No TV info

By Pooja Kantemneni

After a storm of losses and rain, the Bruins will look to get back on track against a former one of their own.

Following two rain cancellations last weekend, UCLA women’s tennis (1-2) is set to face Rice (2-2) on Friday at The Santaluz Club in San Diego. The Owls are headed by Elizabeth Schmidt, who played for coach Stella Sampras Webster’s Bruins from 1996 to 2000.

“It’s going to be great to see her,” Sampras Webster said. “I’m proud of her and what she’s done at Rice. It’s cool to get to compete against her.”

The Bruins last matched up with the Owls in 2012 during the Sweet 16 of the NCAA championships. It was Rice’s first appearance in the Sweet 16, and it ultimately lost 4-0 to UCLA.

Despite not having faced Rice in over 10 years, Sampras Webster said the team is prepared for the unfamiliar opponent.

“We always have the mentality that every match is tough, no matter who we play,” Sampras Webster said. “Our routines, our rituals, everything is going to be the same.”

Unranked Rice is entering Friday’s action at .500, sweeping Lamar and Louisiana but falling to Baylor and No. 3 Texas A&M. The Bruins are also unranked, marking their first time this season entering a contest in such a position.

After losing two straight matches during the ITA Kickoff Weekend, the Bruins were unable to boost their record last weekend because of heaps of rain up north. No. 82 sophomore Kimmi Hance said, although the team is disappointed it didn’t get to play against Saint Mary’s and California, it is focusing on the match ahead of them.

“We definitely wanted these matches last weekend just to have confidence to build off of, but that’s why we’re playing Rice now,” Hance said. “Hopefully, it doesn’t rain.”

After ending her freshman season with a 24-2 record in dual-match play, Hance was rewarded with a higher spot in the lineup. She said she plans to use the extra pressure as competitive fuel.

“I definitely feel a little bit of pressure. Not so much ‘I did good last year, I have to do good this year,’ but just to win for the team,” Hance said. “Everyone feels like that. But, you just have to use it as motivation.”

No. 52 sophomore Ava Catanzarite also moved higher in the lineup, jumping to No. 3 singles after splitting starts last campaign at No. 5 and No. 6. Complete with a pair of ranked wins, Catanzarite has yet to fall in singles play this season.

Catanzarite is one of just two Bruins with a winning record this season, most recently knocking off then-No. 106 Kamila Umarova of Florida International.

And with regard to its ill-fated previous matches, Catanzarite said her team’s focus is not in the rearview mirror.

“We were really looking forward to playing at Cal last weekend, but that just makes us even more excited for this weekend to compete,” Catanzarite said. “We’re even hungrier to get a win.”

With a rare country club atmosphere, first serve between UCLA and Rice is set for 1 p.m. on Friday.

Pooja Kantemneni