Jaime Jaquez Jr. drives UCLA men’s basketball to victory against Washington State

Senior guard/forward Jaime Jaquez Jr. jumps as he attempts a layup. Jaquez’s 24 points and 15 rebounds paced both teams and gave him his fifth double-double of the season. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin staff)

Men’s basketball

Washington State52

By Francis Moon

This post was updated Feb. 4 at 10:28 p.m.

Earlier this season in Pullman, the Bruins needed some late-game heroics from Jaime Jaquez Jr. to prevent an upset.

But in a home rematch, the senior guard/forward would not allow it to get to that point again.

Behind a 24-point, 15-rebound double-double from Jaquez – both game-highs – No. 9 UCLA men’s basketball (19-4, 10-2 Pac-12) secured its largest win in more than a month with a 76-52 defeat of Washington State (10-15, 5-9) in Pauley Pavilion on Saturday evening. The Cougars were held to 30.9% shooting from the field in the contest, while the Bruins remained undefeated at home on the season.

Jaquez said his career-high rebounding performance was a result of both effort and being in the right place at the right time as he worked to relieve pressure from the team’s big men.

“It’s just a lot of being in the right position,” Jaquez said. “The big guys needed help on the rebounds, and it couldn’t just be Adem (freshman forward Adem Bona), and so I’ve really just been trying to put an emphasis on trying to get every loose ball that I can.”

Washington State could not miss early in the game, though, sinking its first three attempts from long range within the first 3 ½ minutes of the game. The blue and gold played catch-up with a hot start of its own, making its first four shots from the field, including a 3-pointer from freshman guard Amari Bailey. 

The Cougars cooled down after guard TJ Bamba’s fastbreak layup made the score 15-13 seven minutes into the contest. UCLA forced five straight Washington State turnovers – and 11 total in the first half – while the visiting team was unable to make another shot for a stretch of over five minutes.

“We haven’t lost in a long time at home with fans here. They’re (Washington State) already uncomfortable, don’t let them get comfortable,” said coach Mick Cronin. “We did a pretty good job of not letting them get to their comfort level, even though they came out firing. We eliminated that pretty quick.”

A quick response from the Cougars turned a 9-0 Bruin run back into a two-point lead, until senior guard/forward Jaime Jaquez Jr. nailed his first triple of the game before converting a fastbreak opportunity two plays later. A 3-pointer from fifth-year guard David Singleton extended the run to 8-0, putting his team up 30-20 with just under five minutes left in the first period.

The Cougars would not go away, as forward Andrej Jakimovski scored five quick points without an answer. Jaquez once again put it to an end, sinking a 3-pointer from the left corner a minute later before grabbing an offensive rebound on the next possession, which led to an open dunk from freshman forward Adem Bona. 

Freshman forward Adem Bona goes up for a block against Washington State forward Mouhamed Gueye. Bona finished the contest with three blocks. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin staff)

Despite the back-and-forth nature, the blue and gold held the lead for all but five minutes in the first half and entered the break leading 35-26, with Jaquez’s 12 points leading all scorers. Bamba led the Cougars squad with 10, though his team’s quick start dissipated into a 41.7% clip from the field, including 5-of-15 from downtown. 

A 3 from Bailey extended UCLA’s lead back to double digits on its second possession of the second half. The Bruins kept it that way for the next 4 ½ minutes, converting a block inside from Bona into an open corner 3 from Jaquez on the other end, tying his season high in long-range makes with more than 17 minutes remaining. 

In Singleton’s second game back off the bench since Bailey’s return from injury, the Bruin bench outscored the Cougars’ 17-0. Singleton put up eight points in the game while adding three steals. 

“I realized I have to pick it up defensively,” Singleton said. “Especially with Amari (freshman guard Amari Bailey) coming back, I can get a little more rest, be a little more energized out there.”

Bona finished his evening with nine points and three rebounds while sending back three shots, all in the second period, and grabbing two steals on the defensive end.

Six straight points from Jaquez sparked a 15-2 run for the home team, stretching its advantage to 21. The Cougars were unable to make a field goal for a stretch of over seven minutes until Mouhamed Gueye stuffed it in.

Cronin said Jaquez continues to prove why he is in the National Player of the Year discussions and praised the senior for his winning mentality that can easily translate to the professional ranks.

“You want to win games, put him on your team,” Cronin said. “Your coach is going to love him, your teammates are going to love him because he can do whatever you need him to do – make shots, get a tough rebound, be a team guy, display great toughness.”

The Bruins continued to rein in 3-pointers, extending their lead even further. A midrange jumper from Bailey brought UCLA’s lead up to 25 before both sides emptied their benches with more than a minute remaining in the contest.

Singleton said the win was a result of the team coming in with a refreshed mindset and blocking out outside noise while playing to its strengths.

“One of the coaches put us in a group chat,” Singleton said. “He said, ‘You need to come with positive vibes today. No matter what happens out there, just play all-out effort, hustle, remember our assignments and have a positive attitude.’ So, that’s what we did – we had positive vibes.”

Francis Moon | Sports senior staff
Moon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and women's tennis beats, while also contributing for Arts. He is a fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student.