Pauley Pavilion to host high school basketball game with star players, viewers

Notre Dame guard Mercy Miller dribbles during a game. The four-star recruit will go up against Sierra Canyon in a game at Pauley Pavilion on Friday night. (Courtesy of JoJo Gonzalez)

By Sam Settleman and Jon Christon

This post was updated Jan. 27 at 12:44 a.m.

It’ll be a star-studded affair at Pauley Pavilion on Friday night.

But it won’t be the Bruins battling on the hardwood.

Notre Dame High School will take on Sierra Canyon High School in a boys basketball game Friday night on UCLA’s campus. The game was supposed to be played at Notre Dame’s home gym, but was moved to the 13,000-plus seat stadium given the expected attendance.

“It’s a big game,” said Notre Dame guard Mercy Miller. “It’s going to be a great atmosphere. … I’m just excited to go and play in front of this many people.”

Plenty of fans will show out for Sierra Canyon guard Bronny James, the son of Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James, but the four-star recruit has missed his team’s last two games with injury and is questionable for the matchup. With or without James, however, there will be plenty of other star power.

The two schools’ rosters hold a combined two five-star recruits and five four-star recruits from the 2023 and 2024 recruiting classes.

Percy Miller – otherwise known as rapper “Master P” and the father of Mercy Miller – said Friday’s matchup will have no shortage of famous figures, both on and off the court.

“We need to make sure all the UCLA students come and check this out,” Master P said. “It’s going to be history. … There’s going to be a lot of stars.”

(Courtesy of Made Hoops)
Miller skies for a dunk during a game. (Courtesy of Made Hoops)

James – named to the McDonald’s All-American team Tuesday afternoon – headlines the Trailblazers’ roster as the team’s highest-ranked player for the class of 2023. He slots in as the No. 33 overall player in his class, according to 247Sports’ composite ranking, and is currently undecided on where he will attend college.

Miller, meanwhile, is a four-star recruit in the class of 2024 who committed to Houston in 2021. He played last season with Oak Hill Academy before transferring to Notre Dame in the summer.

Miller and James have both grown up in Southern California, as have many players on both rosters. Master P said having the chance to play in a historic Los Angeles-based venue like Pauley Pavilion will be a moment to remember.

“It’s going to be great being at UCLA,” Master P said. “(For) Mercy and Bronny – they both are friends – to be able to play in that type of atmosphere, to have this type of competition, is going to be a great experience for both of them.”

Miller may be playing in the biggest arena of his career Friday, but he’s no stranger to the spotlight. His father, Master P, built a music empire after his rapping career and also suited up in two NBA preseason games for the Charlotte Hornets and Toronto Raptors in the early 2000s.

Miller said he relishes the added attention from having a celebrity father but understands that it won’t make his dreams of reaching the NBA any easier.

“A lot of people, they don’t like having celebrity parents. I enjoy the spotlight,” Miller said. “I feel like it puts me in a different category, but I want to be able to work and create my own name and also protect my family name.”

With an older brother playing basketball at Louisville and a father who once held a spot on an NBA roster himself, Miller was built for basketball.

“He born to do this. He born to ball,” Master P said. “When you look at his name, Mercy, I mean, when he on the court people saying, ‘Lord have mercy.’”

(Courtesy of Notre Dame High School)
Miller high fives a teammate on the bench. (Courtesy of Notre Dame High School)

Miller and James are not the only two players with notable fathers, however. Sierra Canyon boasts class of 2023 forward Ashton Hardaway and class of 2024 guard Justin Pippen, the sons of NBA legends Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway and Scottie Pippen, respectively.

While Friday’s game is laden with big names, UCLA men’s basketball coach Mick Cronin said not to discount the less-heralded players when generally discussing his recruiting philosophy.

“What happens sometimes is you go, ‘I’m the man, I’m going to make it,’ versus the guy that comes in that doesn’t have all that hype and comes in with the right attitude,” Cronin said.

Sierra Canyon and Notre Dame are tied in league play so far with 5-1 records, and the winner will claim the Mission League’s No. 2 spot behind Harvard-Westlake.

Despite the stakes of the game and the high-profile venue, Miller said he’s not nervous.

“I’m not feeling too much pressure,” Miller said. “It’s just going to be a lot of fun. … It should be a great time for me, a great experience to show all the fans what I can do.”

Friday’s game will tip off at 8 p.m. at Pauley Pavilion and will be televised on ESPNU.

Sam Settleman | Sports editor
Settleman was the 2022-2023 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and gymnastics beats. He was previously an assistant editor on the gymnastics, women's soccer, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the gymnastics and women's water polo beats.
Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.