UCLA gymnastics outperforms Washington; Selena Harris takes 3 events, all-around

Freshman Selena Harris celebrates after a bars routine. Harris notched a 39.725 in the all-around for the second straight week as No. 4 UCLA gymnastics beat No. 22 Washington in Seattle. (Alex Driscoll/Daily Bruin staff)

Gymnastics

No. 4 UCLA196.900
No. 22 Washington195.825

By Helene Barnfield

This post was updated Jan. 22 at 10:24 p.m.

Following back-to-back 197s to start their season, the Bruins came up just short of keeping that streak alive.

No. 4 UCLA gymnastics faced off against No. 22 Washington on Saturday to open up Pac-12 competition, with the Bruins defeating the Huskies 196.900-195.825 in Seattle. Freshman Selena Harris ended the meet winning three out of four events and taking the all-around with a 39.725 for the second straight week.

“I’m proud that I’m healthy, and I’m maintaining everything I need to be great for the team,” Harris said.

UCLA kicked off the meet on bars, with both junior Chae Campbell and sophomore Emily Lee putting up 9.800s. Senior Kalyany Steele made her first appearance on the event this season with a score of 9.825 followed by two straight scores of 9.925 by Harris and sophomore Jordan Chiles.

The Bruins closed out the event – on which they ranked third in the nation entering the meet – with an overall score of 49.350 as redshirt senior Margzetta Frazier anchored the team with a 9.875.

“They’re working on the little things that help them stay locked in and be confident and consistent,” said coach Janelle McDonald. “I think that’s where you’re seeing the consistency coming from.”

With an early 0.600 lead, UCLA moved on to vault, where it scored a 49.125. Saturday marked freshman Maddie Anyimi’s first time in the leadoff position on vault, as she started off the rotation with a 9.700. 

Campbell’s Yurchenko full scored a 9.900 on the event, but Chiles had a slight bobble on her vault, scoring a 9.650 after she missed the center of the springboard on her entry. Closing out the vault rotation was Harris, who posted a career-high 9.950 on the event.

“I didn’t really pay attention to the scores,” Harris said. “I’m still getting used to competing every weekend, so I’m happy that I felt good … because I’ve never done three meets back to back.”

With their lead over the Huskies mounting, the Bruins moved on to the floor, where they ranked fourth in the nation on entering the afternoon. 

After a leadoff 9.825 from junior Katie McNamara, senior Chloe Lashbrooke posted a 9.850, marking her first competitive routine since 2020 following an Achilles injury that caused her to miss the last two seasons. 

“To see her (Lashbrooke) go out there so confidently and be able to perform so beautifully was definitely one of the highlights of the meet for all of us,” McDonald said.

Harris went on to continue her impressive scoring run, putting up a 9.925 for the team, followed by a bounce-back performance from Chiles, who scored a 9.950 to win the event.

Campbell anchored the floor rotation with a 9.925 as UCLA’s 49.475 marked its best rotation of the day and gave the Bruins a 1.325 lead over the Huskies going into the final event.

UCLA’s 48.950 on beam to close out the meet allowed the Bruins to officially capture the win. Despite some wobbles across the lineup, Harris went on to win her third event of the night with another 9.925 and secured the all-around title.

“We were able to start and finish off really strong,” Chiles said. “So just being able to show that and continue to fight and still be the Bruins that we are, … I’m really proud of everybody.”  

The blue and gold gets the chance to compete at Pauley Pavilion for the first time this season as it takes on Oregon State next weekend.

Helene Barnfield