UCLA men’s basketball survives Arizona State inferno to extend win streak

Redshirt senior guard Tyger Campbell dribbles the ball up the court. Campbell tied a season-high 22 points in No. 5 UCLA men’s basketball’s win over Arizona State on Thursday night. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

Men’s basketball

Arizona State62

By Francis Moon

Even before tipoff, expletive chants against the Bruins rang from the Inferno student section.

The night began with similar hostility on the hardwood, but in the form of physicality, as neither team was able to hit the 10-point mark until nine minutes into the game.

After compiling 10 turnovers with a season-low nine made field goals in the first half, No. 5 UCLA men’s basketball (17-2, 8-0 Pac-12) quieted the home crowd by bouncing back from a slow start with a 74-62 win over Arizona State (15-4, 6-2) on Thursday night. The two sides combined for 30 fouls and 31 turnovers in the contest, as the blue and gold escaped to maintain control of the top spot in the conference.

Senior guard/forward Jaime Jaquez Jr. got things started with a layup off an Arizona State turnover, while fifth-year guard David Singleton answered a Sun Devil 3-pointer to keep the Bruins ahead early. But the two teams combined for just four made field goals through the next 10 minutes – combining for 13 turnovers in that span – as the blue and gold hung on to an 11-10 advantage.

Five quick points from Dylan Andrews gave UCLA its lead back after two baskets from Arizona State, but the freshman guard was assessed with a technical foul following his dunk. Early foul trouble plagued the team as Jaquez was limited to two points in eight minutes in the first period. Freshman forward Adem Bona also saw reduced minutes early with two fouls but turned the ball over five times in the first half.

Six 3-pointers in the opening half kept the Sun Devils ahead for much of the frame, led by 14 points on six shots from guard DJ Horne. The Bruins had done just enough to keep it a one-possession game throughout – until Arizona State guard Desmond Cambridge Jr. cashed in a heave from beyond halfcourt as the buzzer sounded to put his team ahead 35-30.

UCLA came out rejuvenated after halftime, breaking out for an 8-0 run to start the second period. But a fastbreak jam from Cambridge highlighted a responding run and brought the blue and gold’s deficit back up to five with 15 minutes remaining in the game.

Jaquez continued to struggle, missing two close shots and both free throws after getting fouled on a third. The senior was held under 10 points for just the second time this year, with nine points on 4-of-12 shooting from the field. Redshirt senior guard Tyger Campbell picked up much of the slack, scoring 13 points through 20 minutes of play.

Both teams’ offenses gained steam as the contest turned into a back-and-forth affair. A 3-pointer from Sun Devil guard Austin Nunez gave the home team its biggest lead of the night at 53-47, but the Bruins refused to go down as a 3 from Singleton tied it up at 57 with just under eight minutes to play.

Nunez scored seven of his 10 points in the second half, while Cambridge added nine to finish with 15 on the night. For the blue and gold, Campbell and Singleton led the way with 22 and 21 points, respectively, while combining to shoot 14-of-21 from the floor.

Just the second field goal of the night from Jaquez gave UCLA the lead for the first time in 13 minutes before his first 3 gave his team its biggest lead yet at six. Ending the contest on a 16-2 run, a fadeaway from Jaquez put the nail in the coffin as the Bruins extended their winning streak to 14.

Francis Moon | Sports senior staff
Moon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and women's tennis beats, while also contributing for Arts. He is a fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student.