UCLA swim and dive makes strong showing on team’s senior day

The Bruins celebrate after a point. The squad honored its seniors at the Denver meet on Saturday. (Joseph Jimenez/Assistant Photo editor)

By Felicia Keller

This post was updated Jan. 18 at 9:11 p.m.

Camaraderie and reminiscence lay at the center of the Bruins’ Senior Day.

Amid challenging weather conditions over the weekend at Spieker Aquatics Center, UCLA swim and dive (6-0, 3-0 Pac-12) swept every event in a dual meet against Denver (4-6), with a fourth place in the 3-meter, a fifth place in the 1-meter and a fourth-place showing in the team event at the Bruin Diving Invitational. On an emotional day for UCLA’s graduating athletes, UCLA won every swim event and picked up second place in five out of 14 events as well.

“What we saw today was just racing with pride, racing with guts, racing with courage, competing that way for their seniors, and it was awesome,” coach Jordan Wolfrum said.

UCLA set the meet off with a first- and second-place finish in the 400-yard medley relay. The all-senior UCLA A-team finished 8.75 seconds ahead of the third place Denver A-team.

Wolfrum – who began her role as head coach when this senior class began in 2019 – feels especially connected to this group of seniors.

“They were some of the first women that I met in person when I took over this job,” Wolfrum said. “And they’ve just been amazing leaders, incredible performers. They have been the pillars of this team and they’ve meant the world.”

Senior swimmer Sophia Kosturos placed first in the 100-yard backstroke, in addition to swimming the first leg of UCLA-A’s 400-yard medley relay and 200-yard free relay.

After Kosturos’ last meet at Spieker, she said she was looking back on a lot of fond memories, but will mostly miss being around her teammates every singe day.

“I’m going to miss jamming out with my whole team either pre-practice, post-practice, pre-meet, post-meet,” said Kosturos. “We love to listen to music, and it’s so fun when we all dance together to celebrate or to not celebrate, just for fun.”

The only senior on the other side of the competition, diver Hannah Butler headed into finals for the 3-meter dive, her best event, in fifth place. She was able to pull out her best score of the season – a 314.85 – in the finals to pull into fourth place.

With 19 different schools in Westwood for the Bruin Diving Invitational, Butler said she has appreciated the opportunity to represent UCLA in front of so many people.

“It’s nice to be able to perform well in front of other people as well,” said Butler. “And show everybody what our team is about.”

Butler added that she is grateful for her UCLA experience, and especially the teammates she spent it with.

“I feel like there were definitely a lot of difficult moments along the way that now, looking back on, you can tell that they made you so much stronger,” said Butler. “It’s nice to have gone through it all with the same group of girls, because it just feels like we have a bond that lasts a long time.”

Next up, the Bruins will face their biggest competition of the season with No. 3 Stanford on Jan. 27 and No. 11 California on Jan. 28.

Felicia Keller
Keller is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the men’s soccer, swim and dive, women’s water polo, and softball beats. She was previously a contributor on the swim and dive and women’s water polo beats and a contributor in the News and Photo sections. She is also a second-year sociology student.