UCLA swim and dive defeats UC San Diego with 12 first-place finishes

Freshman Rosie Murphy led a Bruin podium sweep of the 200-yard butterfly as UCLA clinched 12 event wins to take the meet against UC San Diego on Saturday. The final score was the Bruins’ largest deficit in a dual meet this season. (Alice Yang/Daily Bruin)

Swim and dive

UCLA193
UC San Diego99

By Sabrina Baker

This post was updated Jan. 11 at 12:25 a.m.

The Bruins remain undefeated in dual meets this season.

UCLA swim and dive (5-0, 3-0 Pac-12) traveled south to compete against UC San Diego (4-4, 2-1 Big West) on Saturday. The Bruins now hold a 4-0 all-time record against the Tritons, with three of those wins coming under coach Jordan Wolfrum. The blue and gold emerged victorious by 94 points, securing a first-place finish in all but four events.

Prior to her team’s first dual meet win of 2023, Wolfrum said UCLA focused on three main things: winning habits, grit and pride.

“This is a point in the season where we are all really tired,” Wolfrum said. “It is hard to execute things really well.”

One of the 12 event wins came from freshman swimmer Fay Lustria in the 200-yard butterfly. The victory marked her first career win with a time of 2:05.64.

Lustria said the win demonstrated her growth in her endurance while racing.

“When I went out there and competed, I had a really strong second half,” Lustria said. “I was able to out-touch a UCSD swimmer. That’s kind of what I focused on: making sure the second half of my race was strong and getting a win.”

The Bruins also swept the podium in the 50-yard freestyle, the 100-yard freestyle and the 200-yard backstroke. The 200-yard backstroke was headlined by freshman swimmer Rosie Murphy, who won the event by more than five seconds. Her time of 1:58.98 set a pool record.

Despite her accomplishment individually, Murphy said she was most proud of being a part of the relays.

“I just love getting out there and racing with my team,” Murphy said. “I feel the most pride when I am with my teammates in a relay.”

On the diving side of the meet, senior diver Hannah Butler won both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events. In the 1-meter event, the blue and gold also saw sophomore diver Maya Salvitti atop the podium with a second-place finish.

Although Butler was the sole Bruin to finish first in two individual events, eight other Bruins secured first-place finishes, accumulating 72 of the team’s 193 points.

Murphy said finishing atop the leaderboard with other teammates in the same race makes her proud to be a Bruin.

“We’ve had a really hard winter training, especially the backstroke group,” Murphy said. “We just grind together all the time. To see us all succeed like that was super rewarding.”

UCLA will compete against Denver in a nonconference dual meet at Spieker Aquatics Center on Saturday. After that meet, the blue and gold will head into a stretch of away dual meets against the three teams that finished atop the podium at last year’s Pac-12 championships.

Wolfrum said the team had a conversation about how Pac-12 competition gets harder later in the season, so there are aspects of competing the team needs to improve on to continue its momentum.

“Coming out of this meet, we had some of those conversations at the end of, ‘Where did our winning habits not stand up enough?’” Wolfrum said. “’Were there areas where we did not have enough pride, we didn’t race gritty enough or perform gritty enough?’”

Sabrina Baker | Sports contributor
Baker is currently a Sports contributor on the swim & dive beat.