UCLA gymnast Selena Harris to honor heritage in heartfelt homecoming at Super 16

(By Isabella Lee/Illustrations Director)

By Helene Barnfield

Selena Harris’ first appearance as a Bruin will be more than just the debut of the No. 1 recruit in the country.

When the UCLA gymnastics freshman takes the floor at the Super 16 in Las Vegas on Saturday, it will also represent a homecoming. The Vegas native said she’s thrilled to have the opportunity to compete in front of her family in her first collegiate competition.

“It means so much, especially because everyone that’s helped me get to this point is in Vegas, so they’re all able to come,” Harris said.

The debut will have a special meaning to one family member in particular: her mother Nidia Harris-Miranda. Harris said her mom has been closely following along with the team’s daily Instagram posts counting down to the meet.

“She texts me every time, she’s like, ‘I’m so excited to see you,'” Harris said. “I think she’s only ever been to one or two collegiate meets.”

Saturday’s competition gives Harris the opportunity to not only thank her mom for all her support but also perform her new floor routine for the first time in front of her family.

The routine represents a powerful tribute to her mother and their shared Guatemalan heritage.

In describing the creative process for the floor routine, Harris noted that it wasn’t until after she received her music from assistant coach BJ Das as well as her new leotard that she came up with the idea to dedicate her routine to her Latinx heritage.

Harris initially provided Das with a Latin playlist as inspiration for the routine, which included tracks from Puerto Rican rapper and singer Bad Bunny. But when Das revealed the final music she had devised for the routine, it contained a surprise for Harris: music from the late singer Selena Quintanilla, whom she was named after.

After listening to the track, Harris knew the nod to her Latinx roots would be emotional for her mother.

“I listened to it and was like ‘My mom’s going to cry,'” Harris said.

It turns out that Harris was not far off, as Harris-Miranda explained why the tribute means so much to her.

“I think it just goes back to my parents and when they came to this country, they came not knowing anything,” Harris-Miranda said.

Ultimately, the routine shines a light on how both Harris and her mother are passionate about the visibility and celebration of their culture.

But beyond that, Harris-Miranda also wants to stress the general importance of representation.

“People have to see their own race or their own culture be successful, because if they can see it, then they can say, ‘If she made it, then why can’t I?’” Harris-Miranda said.

Performing on floor was one of the main reasons Harris wanted to come to UCLA in the first place. She had observed Bruins go viral with their floor routines before, and knew that was something she wanted to be a part of.

“It just gives me chills to think about it, … because when I thought of UCLA even when I was younger, I was like ‘The floor routines are what everyone looks forward to,'” Harris said.

Freshman Selena Harris poses on floor during UCLA's intrasquad Dec. 15.
Freshman Selena Harris poses on the floor during UCLA's intrasquad on Dec. 15. (Jack Stenzel/Daily Bruin)

Destined for greatness

At a young age, it was apparent to those around her that Harris was meant to flip.

From fearlessly doing back handsprings off her mom’s bed or being pulled aside on a gym field trip at just five years old due to her natural abilities, it was clear early on that she was special.

Harris-Miranda vividly recalls how early on her daughter impressed coaches with her flexibility and skill.

“The coach right away picked up on it, … and so he sent her home with a note saying she might be good for gymnastics,” Harris-Miranda said.

While Harris’ abilities were unexpected at such a young age, her competitive nature was not, as sports seemed to be ingrained in her family’s DNA.

“My mom’s side of the family all played soccer, while my dad was a really good wrestler and competed in track and diving,” Harris said.

Sharing that same love of sports, Harris has thrived at some of the highest levels of gymnastics.

Harris showcased her talents in her season before joining the Bruins, when she almost swept the 2022 Level 10 National Championships by winning the all-around, vault, bars and floor, and placing third on the beam.

After an accomplished gymnastics career that made her the top recruit in the country, Harris will now embark on a new journey as a member of the Bruins.

As Harris and the rest of the team prepare to head to Vegas to kick off their season, the Bruins are setting lofty goals for 2023, hoping to build upon UCLA’s legacy in the sport under new head coach Janelle McDonald.

Sophomore Jordan Chiles said Harris’ contributions will be a major factor in ensuring that those goals come to fruition.

“She’s an all-arounder, so she brings another all-around spot that could help with the NCAA title,” Chiles said.

Via her previous endeavors, Harris has already proven that she can excel on all four events.

And as Harris gets ready to make her blue and gold debut on Saturday, those around her are already acknowledging the impact the No. 1 recruit will have for UCLA – not just in 2023 but for years to come.

“I know she’s going to leave a huge legacy when her four years are up because that’s just who she is,” Chiles said.

Helene Barnfield