UCLA gymnastics’ Emily Lee, Chloe Lashbrooke return to Pauley Pavilion

Sophomore Emily Lee performs on beam. Lee missed her entire freshman season with UCLA gymnastics because of a torn Achilles tendon. (Megan Cai/Assistant Photo editor)

By Benjamin Royer

Emily Lee watched from the sidelines as the drama unfolded in 2022.

A tumultuous season for UCLA gymnastics closed with former coach Chris Waller resigning and the blue and gold exiting the NCAA tournament early in the regional final. The sophomore, however, was unable to take part in the 2022 campaign. Although a torn Achilles tendon – sustained at the United States Olympic Trials in June 2021 – kept her out of competition for over a year, the Northern California native was still able to practice and participate in team activities.

“There was a lot of drama going on inside the gym, which made it hard to have an environment where you want to come back and contribute to the team,” Lee said. “But I think I found my footing this year, and I’m really happy about that. I feel like everything’s coming together quite nicely.”

Lee took the floor at Pauley Pavilion for the first time and competed in the all-around at the season-opening Meet the Bruins intrasquad on Dec. 15.

Scores were not officially recorded, with guest judges rating each gymnast’s routine out of five stars, but the return to action proved personally notable for the now fully healthy debutant.

“In the past, competing was the worst thing ever, and I still have that mindset, but actually today, I can genuinely say, honestly, that I had fun,” Lee said.

Senior Chloe Lashbrooke similarly suffered a torn Achilles right before the start of the 2021 season that kept her on the sidelines for the better part of the past two seasons. Lee said they were each other’s backbones while rehabilitating from their identical injuries.

Lashbrooke also returned at Meet the Bruins and competed on vault, beam and floor. The latter of the events was a strong suit for the Arizona native in 2020, in which she scored a 9.900 twice and averaged a 9.867 across six meets her freshman season.

“Watching Chloe and Emily just completely rise like a phoenix from the ashes in terms of strength, competence and endurance, it’s amazing to watch,” said redshirt senior Margzetta Frazier. “They inspire me a lot to work harder to be a better gymnast, a better person and a better teammate for my team.”

A debut on the sidelines

After spending four seasons as an assistant at California, coach Janelle McDonald made the trek south to Los Angeles to take over UCLA’s program.

Now, with eight months in Westwood under her belt, the two-time Women’s Collegiate Gymnastics Association Regional Assistant Coach of the Year is inserting her own culture and expertise in Westwood. McDonald said she’ll never forget her first experience coaching in Pauley Pavilion.

“It’s definitely going to be something I think I’ll remember forever,” McDonald said. “It definitely exceeded my expectations, and it was just a blast being out here with these girls.”

McDonald said team bonding, positive energy and preparation have been at the forefront of her focus heading into 2023. The first-year coach’s first crop of gymnasts at UCLA said McDonald’s energy can be felt across the gym.

“Oh, it only contributes to the fire,” Lee said. “Janelle is so energetic, and it’s something we need when we’re on the last rotation. We’re tired, we’re rallying, and she’s up here jumping in heels (and) in her pantsuit. It’s inspiring.”

Frazier – who has now spanned three different head coaches during her time with the Bruins – said McDonald’s energy and positivity are relentless.

“A really important thing in gymnastics is being consistent, and that’s across the board,” Frazier said. “And Janelle has always great energy. (She is) very consistent with keeping the standard very high, keeping it very lighthearted and very fun, but still working hard and still having discipline.”

Frazier also added that McDonald has introduced a “no-negative talk” rule during practice, as well as constantly reminding the team to stay hydrated and eat snacks to keep energy levels high.

With her first official meet as a head coach coming up Jan. 7, McDonald beamed while explaining her takeaways from the preseason event.

“I was so proud of their energy, their attitudes and their effort,” McDonald said. “Just seeing them be able to do what they’ve been training so hard to do, and do it with a smile on their face, and connection with each other – it was really special.”

Benjamin Royer | Assistant Sports editor
Royer is the 2023-2024 Assistant Sports editor on the baseball, gymnastics and men's water polo beats and a reporter on the football beat. He was previously a staff writer on the baseball, football and gymnastics beats. He is also a fourth-year communication student.