5-star quarterback Dante Moore flips commitment from Oregon to UCLA football

Coach Chip Kelly smiles. UCLA football earned a commitment from five-star quarterback Dante Moore on Monday. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

By Francis Moon and Jon Christon

Dec. 19, 2022 10:23 a.m.

Chip Kelly has secured the Bruins’ quarterback of the future.

Five-star quarterback Dante Moore has flipped his commitment from Oregon to UCLA football, he announced in a tweet Monday morning. Moore is the most highly decorated recruit in the coach Kelly era, ranking third in the nation per 247Sports, fourth per Rivals and third per ESPN.  

UCLA’s 2023 recruiting class now ranks 35th nationally and fifth in the Pac-12, according to 247Sports’ composite team rankings.

Moore originally committed to Oregon in July, but the Detroit native took a visit to Westwood the weekend of Dec. 9 after former Ducks’ offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham left to become Arizona State’s new head coach. 

According to ESPN’s Pete Thamel, Moore cited Oregon’s loss of Dillingham, Kelly’s quarterback pedigree and UCLA’s move to the Big Ten as factors in his commitment to the Bruins. 

Less than 24 hours before Moore’s flip, Oregon quarterback Bo Nix announced that he will be returning to Eugene for a second season with the Ducks instead of declaring for the 2023 NFL Draft. 

For the Bruins, however, the loss of redshirt senior quarterback Dorian Thomspon-Robinson left an opening at starting quarterback that Moore will likely be the favorite to claim to become the starter as a freshman in 2023.

Earlier in the week, the Bruins received a commitment from Kent State transfer quarterback Collin Schlee, who threw for 2,109 yards and 13 touchdowns for the Golden Flashes in 2022. Returning signal-callers redshirt sophomore Ethan Garbers and freshman Justyn Martin make up UCLA’s other leading options in the quarterback room.

At Martin Luther King Jr. High School in Detroit, the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Moore threw for just under 10,000 yards and 35 touchdowns as a four-year starter and was named the No. 1 college football recruit by Sports Illustrated All-American. 

Francis Moon | Sports senior staff
Moon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and women's tennis beats, while also contributing for Arts. He is a fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student.
Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.