UCLA women’s volleyball fails to defeat USC, NCAA Tournament eligibility uncertain

The Bruins go in for a huddle after a point. UCLA lost to USC in four sets on Friday to conclude its regular season, leaving their NCAA tournament hopes a mystery until Selection Sunday. (Shengfeng Chien/Daily Bruin staff)

women's volleyball

UCLA3
No. 25 Washington State2
UCLA1
USC3

By Amelie Ionescu

More laid on the line than a rivalry game.

A win against the Trojans would fortify the Bruins’ NCAA tournament dreams.

A loss on the final day of the regular season would complicate the path to the postseason.

“Most likely we needed one more win on the season to make the tournament,” said coach Michael Sealy. “Whether it was the last game or the first game, or any of the ones that were close.”

UCLA women’s volleyball (16-13, 10-10 Pac-12) fell to crosstown rival USC (21-10, 13-7) in four sets for the second time this season Friday night at the Galen Center. The defeat comes on the heels of the blue and gold’s first ranked win of the campaign against No. 25 Washington State on Tuesday.

After posting their worst start in program history and dropping out of the rankings before conference play began, the Bruins likely needed a statement victory to make their year continue after Friday.

But they couldn’t finish.

“The team was definitely tough,” Sealy said. “I’m really thankful for everything; they pushed through and fought through and fought to the end and ultimately we just didn’t execute enough tonight to win.”

Every time one team seized the lead, the other matched it to open the first set. But after a 5-0 run from the Bruins, the Trojans not only equalized the score – they went on their own 6-0 run to put them up four halfway through the set.

Yet runs was the name of the opening frame as UCLA went on a 5-0 run again before the teams traded points back and forth once more. But a failed Bruin challenge, a kill and a service error sealed the set for USC.

Despite being outhit 15 to 11 and .188 to .085, the Bruins still managed to string together 22 points in the first set, with graduate student defensive specialist/libero Mackenzie Cole notching six digs and her first of two aces in the frame.

“You have (to have) a lot of love and a lot of pride for what we’re doing here,” Cole said.

The Bruins began the second set taking no chances, racking up a 9-2 lead that they didn’t let up on, staying ahead of the Trojans throughout the entire slate. Its lead would dwindle to two, but UCLA continued pressing, eventually taking the set off a kill from graduate student outside hitter/opposite élan McCall – who got six in the slate.

Despite the one-sided second set, USC didn’t let UCLA take the third. Trojan outside hitter Skylar Fields opened up the scoring as the maroon and gold never let the blue and gold grab the lead, pulling away at 14-13 on the back of several Bruin errors to bring the score to 17-13 and ultimately take the set 25-20. Fields ended the match with a game-high 23 kills and four errors for a .268 hitting percentage.

The fourth set proved yet another back and forth affair in the beginning. Every lead was equalized, with both teams pushing for victory. Nevertheless, a 5-0 run capped off by a second failed Bruin challenge sealed the deal for the Trojans as they took the match 3-1 in their home territory. USC ended the match with 56 kills and a .223 clip, compared to UCLA, who hit 54 kills at a .142 hitting percentage.

Cole and McCall led the Bruins in digs for the match, with 23 and 16 respectively, as McCall notched her 11th double double of the season with 17 kills. Cole hit her 2,000th career dig against Oregon on Nov. 18.

“I’ve been a huge fan of élan since I got to play with her at the All-American game in high school,” Cole said. “So being able to grow with her this year and lean on her a lot on the defensive side and the serve receive, she’s been a great teammate to be able to play with. I’ve been lucky.”

The loss leaves playoff implications for the Bruins uncertain. Although UCLA has surpassed the minimum .500 mark required for a team to earn a bid into the NCAA tournament, the blue and gold does not have the automatic conference bid nor the record to guarantee its name called on Selection Sunday.

Despite injury and illness sweeping the Bruins season and knocking them off the No. 12 pedestal they stood on in the preseason, the team showed sparks of improvement as conference play continued, splitting matches against Colorado and picking up close losses against a ranked Oregon team twice.

“We definitely had to battle through some adversity throughout the entire season,” Cole said. “We were able to come as a team and battle through the hard times and overcome.”

The selection show will decide the Bruins’ postseason fate on Sunday at 4:30 p.m.

Amelie Ionescu | Sports senior staff
Ionescu was previously an assistant Sports editor on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, swim and dive and rowing beats, and a contributor on the women's tennis beat.