UCLA women’s basketball maintains undefeated streak conquering Jackson State

Freshman guard Londynn Jones attempts a shot from deep. The newcomer went 5-of-10 from the field en route to a 16-point performance Friday afternoon. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin staff)

women's basketball

Jackson State60

By Alexis Hinkle

Despite a fourth quarter scare, the Bruins started and ended the contest with three-pointers to maintain their perfect start to the season.

Back in Pauley Pavilion for the first time after winning the championship title at the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, No. 20 UCLA women’s basketball (7-0) continues its undefeated record by overcoming Jackson State (2-3) with a score of 72-60.

In the first ever match-up between the Bruins and Tigers, the blue and gold put up 27 points in the first quarter alone, matching the points scored in the entire first half in their previous contest against Marquette.

Four of the five UCLA starters made shots early from behind the arc, putting the Bruins up early. Senior guard Charisma Osborne – the Pac-12 Player of the Week – was among the starters, eventually scoring 100% of her field goals and three-pointers throughout the first frame.

But after a dominant first quarter for UCLA, the Tigers started to reel the Bruins back.

Following the Bruins’ 11-of-18 from the floor in the first quarter, Jackson State had the opportunity to tie the score in the second frame. UCLA committed four turnovers and dished out five fouls, unlike the first quarter’s largely uninterrupted play with only one team foul.

But despite the turnovers, the blue and gold kept its lead by the end of the half, outscoring the Tigers 16-14 during their scoring drought that lasted almost four minutes of play. Jackson State would continue to trail UCLA for the rest of the contest.

After UCLA’s initial run, the team struggled to take care of the ball after the half with 16 total turnovers and Jackson State’s seven steals. After senior guard Camryn Brown bested her season high of five steals in the last matchup against Marquette, the Bruins were without her defensive leadership as she was missing from the court throughout the four quarters.

Freshman guard Kiki Rice and freshman forward Lina Sontag, both collecting nine points each, guided the Bruins with a 7-0 run in the third quarter. The rookies were the first in the second half to lead the team in retaining the road to victory.

After a drought of three pointers since the five made in the first quarter, freshman guard Londynn Jones hit a dime with five minutes left in play in the last frame with an assist by senior guard Gina Conti.

Jones, the second-leading scorer of the contest with 16 points, made 50% of her field goals and three out of seven attempted three-pointers. Jones topped off the last three-pointer of the game with just under two minutes to go, granting the Bruins the victory by a final score of 72-60.

The Bruins will challenge their undefeated record facing No. 1 South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina on Tuesday at 4:00 pm.

Alexis Hinkle
Hinkle is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, women's tennis, men's golf and track and field beats. She was previously a reporter on the women's basketball and beach volleyball beats. She is also a second-year sociology student.