Friday, Dec. 2, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

UCLA men’s basketball tallies 1st loss after 2nd-half comeback by Illinois

Redshirt senior guard Tyger Campbell dribbles the ball in transition against Norfolk State on Monday. Campbell scored 22 points on 9-of-23 shooting in No. 8 UCLA men’s basketball’s defeat to No. 19 Illinois at the Continental Tire Main Event in Las Vegas on Friday. (Vivian Xu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Men’s basketball

No. 19 Illinois79

By Jon Christon, Bryan Palmero, and Sam Settleman

A second-half opponent run put the Bruins to bed in the Sin City. 

No. 8 UCLA men’s basketball (3-1) fell 79-70 in its first ranked matchup of the season to No. 19 Illinois (3-1) at the Continental Tire Main Event in Las Vegas on Friday. The Bruins led by as many as 15 in the second half, but the Fighting Illini took off on a 29-8 run to give them the advantage they would never relinquish.  

Redshirt senior guard Tyger Campbell led UCLA on the scoreboard with 22 points. Senior guard/forward Jaime Jaquez Jr. matched Campbell in the 20-point column, scoring just that while playing nearly the entire game. Off the bench, fifth-year guard David Singleton chipped in 15 points.

While the seniors took charge, the freshmen were unable to replicate their upperclassmen’s performance in their first matchup on the road with the blue and gold. Forward Adem Bona and guards Amari Bailey and Dylan Andrews combined for only six points on 22.2% shooting from the field.

Illinois guard Terrence Shannon Jr. erupted for 19 second-half points on 6-of-7 shooting from behind the arc, following a 10-rebound opening period performance. Shannon finished the contest with a game-high 29 points on 69.2% shooting from the field and 88.9% from deep.

After losing to Illinois, UCLA will face No. 5 Baylor on Sunday after the Bears fell to No. 16 Virginia earlier Friday evening.

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.
Bryan Palmero | Daily Bruin senior staff
Palmero is a senior staff writer for Sports. He served as the assistant Sports editor on the softball, beach volleyball, women's volleyball, men's volleyball and men's golf beats from 2021-2022 and a Sports reporter on the beach volleyball and women's volleyball beats in 2021. He is a third-year mathematics and economics student.
Sam Settleman | Sports editor
Settleman is currently the Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and gymnastics beats. He was previously an assistant editor on the gymnastics, women's soccer, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the gymnastics and women's water polo beats.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]