Streets flood on, near UCLA campus following water main break

The intersection of Charles E. Young Drive South and Tiverton Drive, pictured. Flooding has taken place throughout the Southeast part of campus, as well as near it. (Megan Cai/Assistant Photo editor)

By Shaanth Kodialam and Constanza Montemayor

This post was updated Nov. 14 at 7:37 p.m.

A broken water main near Boyer Hall led to flooded streets on and near campus Monday afternoon. 

A BruinAlert was sent around 4:40 p.m. warning Bruins about flooding at Charles E. Young Drive East and Manning Drive, possible traffic delays that might occur and emergency crews’ presence at the scene. The pipe itself broke around 3:15 p.m., said Oren Saig, a building manager for Boyer Hall. 

Charles E. Young Drive East was flooded by a broken water main nearby. Emergency crews are now working to fix the issue. (Megan Cai/Assistant Photo editor)

Fire department officials arrived around 20 minutes later and are still working on repairing the pipe, Saig also said. 

Crew members are now attempting to shut down water flow to the broken pipe, located at the south side of the building, in order to minimize flooding, Saig added. 

The intersection was one place near campus where flooding occurred. (Megan Cai/Assistant Photo editor)

As of 5:20 p.m., the floods have pushed further toward the UCLA botanical gardens, headed toward the David Geffen School of Medicine and down Hilgard Avenue.

Officials have no current estimate as to when the damage will be repaired, Saig said.

UCLA spokesperson Bill Kisliuk said in an emailed statement that water flow was shut off as of 5:25 p.m., adding university emergency personnel are monitoring campus facilities for potential damages.

Shaanth Kodialam | News senior staff
Kodialam is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. They were previously the 2022-2023 features and student life editor and a 2021-2022 News reporter for national news and higher education and features and student life. They are a third-year communication and geography student.
Constanza Montemayor | News senior staff
Montemayor is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 News editor, the 2021-2022 features and student life editor, a News reporter, Photo contributor for the news beat and Arts contributor. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.