UCLA women’s golf looks toward strong fall finisher at Nanea Pac-12 Preview

Sophomore Zoe Antoinette Campos follows through on a shot at the 2021 Nanea Pac-12 Preview. (Courtesy of Alicia Um Holmes/UCLA Athletics)

WOMEN’S GOLF

Nanea Pac-12 Preview

Monday to Wednesday

Hawaii

By Austin Tran

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly referred to the Blessings Collegiate Invitational as the Blessings Invitational in a sentence.

This post was updated Nov. 5 at 10:42 p.m.

The Bruins will play in their final event in tropical fashion before going on a winter hiatus.

UCLA women’s golf will be competing at the Nanea Pac-12 Preview at the Nanea Golf Club on the island of Hawaii from Monday to Wednesday. The three-round tournament will be the Bruins’ final event of the fall season as they face off against the entire Pac-12 and host school Hawai’i.

The blue and gold is coming off of a third-place finish at the East Lake Cup. It lost to No. 3 Texas A&M in the semifinals before beating No. 6 Oregon for third in the only match play event of the season before the NCAA championships.

The 2021 lineup from the Nanea Pac-12 Preview will be returning sans Emma Spitz, who is now on the professional circuit. Sophomores Caroline Canales and Zoe Antoinette Campos are expected to start alongside seniors Emilie Paltrinieri and Annabel Wilson, as well as redshirt sophomore Alessia Nobilio. Out of all the players returning, Canales was the best finisher from last year, placing in a tie for 24th with a score of 7-over 226.

Canales said she hopes to use her previous course knowledge to her advantage and avoid mistakes on a deceivingly open course.

“I have four rounds at Nanea already under my belt, so I know what to expect,” Canales said, “It’s a demanding course off the tee because even though it looks wide open, if you miss the fairway, it looks penalizing. Definitely going to be dialing in the driver before going.”

This event will be her third since injuring her shoulder. She finished in fifth at the Blessings Collegiate Invitational and in a tie for second in the stroke play portion at the East Lake Cup. In the last event, she sunk a 10-foot putt to help UCLA beat Oregon.

Campos added that she is feeling solid about her play now and is focused on preserving the momentum.

“I’m just trying to maintain what I have been doing the past two tournaments,” Campos said. “This is my third tournament of the season, and I’m just trying to keep my game up like the last two events.”

UCLA is wrapping up on a fall season in which it finished in second place in the first event at the USF Intercollegiate, fourth out of 11 teams at the Blessings Collegiate Invitational and third in the East Lake Cup. While it has had some high finishes, none have resulted in the podium.

With two and half months until the spring season resumes in January, coach Carrie Forsyth said the team hopes to end the fall on a good note.

“We just want to play some really good golf,” Forsyth said. “We want all five players in the lineup to have a good strong tournament finish, and if we can do that, we’ll have a good chance to win.”

Austin Tran | Sports reporter
Tran is currently a Sports reporter on the men's and women's golf beats.