Thursday, May 2, 2024

UCLA football loses perfect record, falls to Oregon in top-10 matchup

Joe Bruin sits on the field. No. 9 UCLA football suffered its first loss of the season at the hands of No. 10 Oregon on Saturday afternoon.(Megan Cai/Assistant Photo editor)

Football

No. 10 Oregon45

By Jon Christon

This post was updated Oct. 23 at 9:40 p.m.

EUGENE — In its first contest as a top-10 team in seven years, the Bruins had the chance to make a statement with the whole country watching.

Instead, “overrated” chants littered the Autzen Stadium crowd by game’s end – no statement to be made.

No. 9 UCLA football (6-1, 3-1 Pac-12) was defeated handily by No. 10 Oregon (6-1, 4-0), 45-30, on Saturday in Eugene. The loss snaps the Bruins’ nine-game winning streak dating back to last season, as the blue and gold’s stay in the top 10 will now only last one week.

“It sucks,” said redshirt senior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson. “I came back with the expectations being very high for myself as well for this team. When we don’t meet those expectations, obviously it hurts.”

While it ended in a one-sided affair, the battle between the Bruins and Ducks began as the heavyweight matchup it was billed as entering Saturday.

An early field goal for Oregon was matched by UCLA. The two teams then traded touchdown receptions to knot the score at 10. After the Ducks produced another score through the air the following possession, it was the Bruins’ turn to match – or so the script said.

But the home team had other ideas.

A perfectly executed surprise onside kick from Ducks kicker Andrew Boyle thwarted any chance of a response on the ensuing kickoff, giving his team an extra possession the Bruin defense failed to make up for the rest of the afternoon.

“I don’t think the onside kick changed us from getting stops to not getting stops,” said coach Chip Kelly. “We’ve still got to get stops at that point and time.”

Oregon recovers an onside kick in the second quarter (Jeremy Chen/Assistant Photo editor)

Stops would not come. Just as Lewis tapped it to himself on the onside kick, Ducks wide receiver Troy Franklin called his own number the following two Oregon possessions to put the game out of reach after two quarters. Franklin high-pointed a reception over his former teammate, UCLA redshirt freshman defensive back Jaylin Davies, for a 26-yard reception that set up running back Jordan James’ two-yard touchdown plunge later on the drive.

Another long reception from Franklin again set Oregon up in favorable field position the next possession, paving the way for his own two-yard touchdown reception – his second of the game – with only six seconds left in the half. 

Franklin’s two touchdowns were a career high, as he finished the contest with eight receptions for 132 yards.

“He had a great game,” said redshirt senior defensive back Stephan Blaylock. “(He) went over the top on us. … They were just having their way at the end of the day.”

The connection between Oregon quarterback Bo Nix and Franklin helped lead Oregon to 363 yards of total offense after only two quarters – the most UCLA has given up in a half all season – and a 31-13 halftime advantage.

“Sometimes I think you got to give credit to the other team,” Kelly said. “I thought he (Nix) played a whale of a game today. … We didn’t do a good enough job of disrupting his timing, and because of that we paid the price.”

The halftime break didn’t help UCLA’s defense. Time and again, it was poised to make its first stop of the game. Every time, though, it couldn’t make it off the field.

Two fourth down conversions allowed Nix and company to execute a 15-play, 82-yard touchdown drive on their first possession of the third quarter. The next time Oregon had the ball, Nix again converted a fourth down, this one a 4th-and-4 that resulted in a 37-yard touchdown pass to running back Bucky Irving.

“Any time they needed to get a first down, they got a first down,” Blaylock said. “Whether it was fourth down (or) third down, one thing we just couldn’t do today was get off the field.”

For the game, UCLA gave up a season-high 545 yards of total offense. Nix finished with 283 yards through the air to go along with five passing touchdowns while five rushers combined for 262 yards on the ground.

Fourth-quarter touchdowns from senior running back Zach Charbonnet and redshirt senior wide receiver Jake Bobo were purely cosmetic. The two scores marked UCLA’s first time reaching the end zone since the beginning of the second quarter, as the Bruins were forced to kick three field goals after making it into enemy territory.

Thompson-Robinson said the inability to finish off drives was self-inflicted.

“If we would’ve done our jobs to our best abilities, they wouldn’t have been able to hang with us on that field,” Thompson-Robinson said.

Redshirt senior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson (left) walks off the field alongside redshirt senior defensive back Mo Osling III (right). (Jeremy Chen/Assistant Photo editor)

The fifth-year signal-caller – a Heisman Trophy candidate entering the day – finished the game with 262 yards, two touchdowns and one interception and is now 0-3 versus the Ducks in his career.

“I’m pissed off right now,” Thompson-Robinson said. “I want to go back and get out there and play again and again and again and again.”

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.