UCLA professor Dr. Arleen Brown elected to National Academy of Medicine

Dr. Arleen Brown, a professor of medicine in the division of general internal medicine and health services research, is pictured. Brown was elected to the National Academy of Medicine on Monday. (Courtesy of UCLA Health)

By Aditi Kumar

The National Academy of Medicine selected Dr. Arleen Brown as part of its 2022 cohort, the academy announced Monday.

According to the announcement, election to the National Academy of Medicine is one of the highest honors for a health professional. Future members are selected by current members for their accomplishments in health care, medicine and public health, and this year, 100 members were selected in total.

The National Academy of Medicine, together with the National Academies of Sciences and Engineering, solves problems in STEM by providing advice on public policy and encouraging research.

Brown, a professor of medicine in the division of general internal medicine and health services research, was chosen as part of the cohort for her work in understanding factors that impact disparities in diabetes and improving vaccine uptake and recovery during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the announcement. She also serves as chief of general internal medicine and health services research.

Dr. Steven Dubinett, interim dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine, said in an emailed statement that Brown’s recognition is well deserved.

“Dr. Brown’s election to the National Academy of Medicine is a reflection of our faculty’s excellence and our medical school’s demonstrated commitment to impactful research and service aimed at equitable care,” Dubinett said in the statement.

Victor Dzau, president of the National Academy of Medicine, said in the announcement that the new cohort’s experiences will be valuable in improving health care.

“This extraordinary class of new members is comprised of exceptional scholars and leaders who have been at the forefront of responding to serious public health challenges, combatting social inequities, and achieving innovative discoveries,” said Dzau in the announcement. “Their expertise will be vital to informing the future of health and medicine for the benefit of us all.”

Aditi Kumar | News senior staff
Kumar is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 science and health editor and a contributor for the science and health beat and a Graphics staff member. She is also a fourth-year bioengineering student minoring in bioinformatics.