UCLA football to compete for No. 1 Pac-12 spot in ESPN ‘College GameDay’ match

UCLA students cheer during ESPN’s “College GameDay” in Westwood in 2021. “GameDay” will feature UCLA football once again in Eugene on Saturday. (Kyle Kotanchek/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Francis Moon

This post was updated Oct. 18 at 10:22 p.m.

The Bruins won’t be traveling alone to Eugene this weekend.

For the second time in as many seasons, ESPN’s “College GameDay” will feature a matchup between No. 9 UCLA football and No. 10 Oregon with live pregame coverage. While ESPN’s crew made the journey to Los Angeles a season ago, they will set up shop in the Beaver State this time around.

Westwood hosted “GameDay” almost exactly a year ago before the Bruins took on the Ducks at the Rose Bowl, with the home team ultimately falling 34-31 after then-redshirt junior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson left with an injury during the potential game-winning drive. The loss marked UCLA’s ninth in 10 games to Oregon, where coach Chip Kelly spent six years as the offensive coordinator and head coach.

“It’s always special going back there. It’s a special place in my life,” Kelly said. “But … we all know what this entails – it’s a business trip, just like any other away game.”

Though both teams are coming off a bye week, they each climbed the AP poll and Pac-12 standings this weekend following No. 12 USC’s first loss of the coach Lincoln Riley era. Neither UCLA nor Oregon has been defeated in conference play, but the blue and gold now stands as the lone undefeated team in the conference and one of nine left in the country.

In other words, this week’s matchup between the Bruins and Ducks holds bigger implications than it did last season – as the winner will hold sole possession of first place in the conference while controlling the Pac-12 championship race.

Despite emerging as one of college football’s biggest surprises this season, Thompson-Robinson said he doesn’t consider himself or his team to be overachieving and welcomes the opportunity to play another high-profile opponent.

“You’ve got a really good team on the national spotlight, so you couldn’t ask for anything more,” Thompson-Robinson said. “This is where I personally envisioned this team being, and I couldn’t be more grateful to be here.”

Kelly echoed his quarterback’s sentiments and said the success is not a fluke, but rather a culmination of Thompson-Robinson’s dedication to improve in his fifth year in Westwood.

“The one thing that I love about him is he’s a lifelong learner,” Kelly said. “It’s neat to see his growth over that time. He’s got a world of talent, but he’s got the work ethic to go with it.”

Thompson-Robinson will have the chance to strengthen his early case for the Heisman Trophy with the Bruins looking for their first win at Autzen Stadium since 2004.

Host Rece Davis and the “College GameDay” crew – Kirk Herbstreit, Pat McAfee, Desmond Howard, Lee Corso and David Pollack – will kick off the three-hour pregame show at 6 a.m. in their first West Coast trip of the year. Saturday marks the 10th time UCLA will be featured since the show first aired in 1993, with the team emerging victorious in three of those contests.

The last time the blue and gold defeated a top-10 team was in September 2010, when the Bruins defied their unranked status to take down then-No. 7 Texas by 22 points.

Fast forward 12 years, and UCLA enters the matchup not only with higher expectations, but in the center of the national spotlight.

“All eyes on us,” said redshirt senior defensive back Stephan Blaylock. “It’s a big stage for us – we welcome it.”

Francis Moon | Sports senior staff
Moon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and women's tennis beats, while also contributing for Arts. He is a fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student.