Op-ed: ‘Drop, Cover and Hold On’ during the Oct. 20 Great ShakeOut

By Lisa Martin

This post was updated Oct. 14 at 3:19 p.m.

In the case of an unexpected natural disaster, there is no question that practice and preparation can save lives. Thinking through an action plan in advance helps you stay calmer and more focused when the real event occurs – and in Southern California, it is critical for all of us to be prepared for a number of possibilities, including earthquakes.

At 10:20 a.m. on Oct. 20, UCLA’s staff, students and faculty are asked to “Drop, Cover and Hold On” during the Great ShakeOut – also known as the world’s largest virtual earthquake drill. The ShakeOut is a chance for our Bruin community to practice its response to an earthquake event while UCLA conducts a test of the BruinALERT emergency notification system. UCLA’s Office of Emergency Management will send a BruinALERT announcing the drill at 10:20 a.m. on the day of the Great ShakeOut via text and email.

Please be sure you are signed up to receive text alerts and that your contact information is current by visiting the BruinALERT site. Without this critical step, UCLA cannot notify you fully in the event of an emergency.

In an actual emergency, when you receive a BruinALERT, visit the Bruins Safe Online website next for more information. We recommend bookmarking the site and sharing it with family and friends who may want to be informed about emergency events at UCLA. The BSO website is your primary source of verified information from Emergency Management during emergencies.

Emergency preparedness and response rely on having the best information available in a timely manner. During wildfires, spills, active shooter situations and more, it is critical that you take a few minutes to connect with all available resources. I strongly encourage all Bruins to download the Bruins Safe app, which provides quick access to response information for potential emergency scenarios and critical campus safety features such as Evening Escorts and UCLA SafeRide. Download it from either Google Play or the Apple App Store. The app also gives easy access to information from BruinALERT Twitter and the BSO website.

Visit the Office of Emergency Management website for content on planning for and responding to emergency events. Wherever you are, I hope you will practice your “Drop, Cover and Hold On” skills for one minute on Oct. 20. Links to ShakeOut drills are available in English and Spanish to practice at any time, and safety information can be found on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by visiting @uclaehs throughout the year. For more information visit the ShakeOut website and please do not hesitate to reach us at [email protected] with questions or suggestions. As always, stay safe and be prepared!

Lisa A. Martin is the director of the UCLA Office of Emergency Management.

Lisa Martin