Dorian Thompson-Robinson helps bring UCLA football back to national spotlight

Redshirt senior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson celebrates. Thompson-Robinson has led No. 18 UCLA football back into the national rankings. (Jack Stenzel/Daily Bruin)

By Francis Moon

This post was updated at Oct. 4 at 8:50 p.m.

Dorian Thompson-Robinson said he never forgets the doubters.

“I don’t stay on social media 24/7, all day, every day like maybe most people think, but I do read it,” said the redshirt senior quarterback. “And if you think words don’t hurt, they do. They do, and I always remember, even if I don’t say nothing.”

After entering last week as one of 21 teams in the nation to start the season 4-0, the Bruins were proclaimed by many to be a fluke, benefiting from a favorable schedule.

But after facing then-No. 15 Washington on Friday, No. 18 UCLA football silenced the buzz for the time being by conquering one of the top offenses in the country and forcing its way into the spotlight. As a result, the blue and gold appeared in the AP poll Sunday for the first time since early last season and now possesses the second-longest active winning streak in college football with eight straight victories dating back to 2021.

UCLA is now one of two Pac-12 teams – along with rival USC – to sit at 5-0, the first time since 2005 both teams are undefeated through five games.

Thompson-Robinson in particular garnered praise, winning Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week honors for the third time in his career after tallying 315 yards and three touchdowns through the air as well as 53 yards and a score on the ground against the Huskies.

But coach Chip Kelly said it was nothing new for the fifth-year quarterback, who entered the program as a true freshman in Kelly’s first year in Westwood in 2018.

“Dorian’s had a chip on his shoulder since the day he walked in here,” Kelly said. “He’s always been a fiery competitor, and that’s one of the things you love about him – his competitive nature is awesome. So we love to see that, but that’s not something that just all of a sudden he fell into during his fifth year. He’s been like that for five years now.”

After his performance against the Huskies, the signal-caller was featured on social media by big-name outlets such as ESPN and was trending on Twitter, receiving shoutouts from stars such as Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen.

But despite making viral plays – sidestepping two defenders for a touchdown and hurdling over a third – Thompson-Robinson said his favorite moment from the game didn’t even show up in the box score. After getting his pass tipped by a defensive lineman with just over two minutes left in the first half, the quarterback turned into a defensive back as he saved an interception by immediately running for the ball and forcing it out of the defender’s hands.

“That was honestly my play of the game,” Thompson-Robinson said. “I’m tracking the ball as everyone is looking around like, ‘What’s going on?’ and I see him, and I know I got to stick my helmet right in his chest.”

After putting the nation on notice, UCLA will once again enter this week’s matchup as underdogs with a chance to climb further up the rankings when it welcomes No. 11 Utah – a team it hasn’t beaten since 2015 – to the Rose Bowl.

Even with its new ranking, Thompson-Robinson said the Washington win was just the beginning, and the team won’t take the national attention for granted.

“Our main focus is not losing now,” Thompson-Robinson said. “You get it, but it can be taken away from you real quick. … We got a wonderful taste in our mouth, and we don’t want to lose that.”

Francis Moon | Sports senior staff
Moon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and women's tennis beats, while also contributing for Arts. He is a fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student.