UCLA women’s soccer beats Beavers to end 1st conference roadtrip undefeated

Junior forward Reilyn Turner dribbles the ball away from the defense. Turner collected her second collegiate hat trick Sunday to help the UCLA defeat Oregon State. (Jack Stenzel/Daily Bruin)

Women's Soccer

Oregon State0

By Isabelle Friedman

It only took 49 seconds for the Bruins to decide the course of their matchup against the Beavers.

Forty-nine seconds for sophomore defender Lilly Reale to make a sweeping pass from the midfield.

For graduate student forward Ally Cook to nab the ball and deftly pass it to junior forward Reilyn Turner.

And for Turner – already in motion – to send the ball sailing toward the bottom right corner of the goal.

And the Bruins didn’t stop there.

No. 1 UCLA women’s soccer (11-0, 3-0 Pac-12) went on to score five goals on Oregon State (4-5-2, 0-3-0) on Sunday afternoon in Corvallis while maintaining a clean sheet. The 5-0 win was led by Turner, who managed her second career hat trick less than 20 minutes in.

Coach Margueritte Aozasa said the Bruins are lucky to have Turner as a difference-maker.

“Reilyn was so impactful in the first 20 minutes – it almost seemed unfair,” Aozasa said. “You can’t ask for a better performance, and (Turner) really just helped to set the tone early on and maintain that for the rest of the game.”

Following the initial first-minute goal, Turner captured another goal in the 18th minute off an assist from freshman midfielder Sofia Cook.

And less than two minutes later, Turner completed the hat trick – knocking down the Beaver goalkeeper in an attempted header and quickly turning around to sneak the ball past the defenders in the goal.

“Bri (senior defender Brianne Riley) played an amazing ball in, and I knew where the goalkeeper was, and I knew that I could jump high enough,” Turner said. “It was just knowing the type of ball that was coming in and knowing my strength.”

Sofia Cook said starting the game off with early goals set the tone for the rest of the game.

“It’s just, honestly, a power move,” Sofia Cook said. “We can tell the other team – their body language – just already looks defeated, and then we just feed off of that and just keep playing our game.”

Strong momentum continued to propel the Bruins throughout the matchup, with a goal from senior forward Sunshine Fontes at the end of the first half putting UCLA up 4-0.

The second half saw new faces on the field, with freshman goalkeeper Neeku Purcell subbing in, among others. The Bruins continued to maintain their shutout against the Beavers and dominate possession after the halftime break, something Aozasa had mentioned was a goal of the team heading into the matchup.

“Right away in the second half, we were able to establish a rhythm,” Aozasa said. “We talked about ways to maintain momentum and also to take away that Oregon State sail, so I thought we did a good job of that in the second half.”

Rounding out the scoring frenzy was a goal in the 53rd minute from Sofia Cook. Freshman midfielder Ally Lemos’ free kick soared toward the goal, finding Turner’s head first before Sofia Cook successfully headed the ball past the Beavers’ goalkeeper.

Sofia Cook now sits among UCLA’s top four scorers – behind only Fontes and Turner – and is tied with graduate student midfielder Maricarmen Reyes at four goals this season.

Despite a few players separating themselves as key scorers, 12 members of the blue and gold have contributed to the scoreboard over its first 11 games. On Sunday, six different Bruins were credited with assists, and 20 total players saw action.

Turner said exploring the team’s depth has been a key area of focus during practice for the coaching staff and that UCLA’s chemistry has benefitted as a result.

“I feel like there’s no one on our team who doesn’t have chemistry with someone to the right or left, and I think that’s a really strong attribute that our team has,” Turner said.

Ultimately, UCLA held Oregon State to three shots on goal compared to the Bruins’ 14, while not a single shot made it past graduate student goalkeeper Lauren Brzykcy nor Purcell.

Following a penalty from junior defender Maya Evans, Purcell was faced with the first penalty kick of her career, but her diving save to the bottom left corner protected the shutout.

Unable to make it on the board, the Beavers couldn’t dam the Bruins’ scoring surge, either.

UCLA now stands undefeated, tied with USC at the top of the Pac-12 rankings.

Isabelle Friedman | Editor in chief
Friedman is the 2023-2024 editor in chief. She was previously the Copy chief and a slot editor and has also contributed to Sports on the women's golf, women's soccer and gymnastics beats. Friedman is a fourth-year public affairs student.