UCLA women’s soccer overpowers Oregon despite allowing goal

Freshman midfielder Sofia Cook dribbles the ball down the field. Cook scored her third collegiate goal Thursday in the Bruins’ contest against Oregon. (Eden Yu/Daily Bruin)

Women's soccer

Oregon1

By Grace Whitaker

The Bruins only let the Ducks take two shots the whole game.

No. 1 UCLA women’s soccer (10-0, 2-0 Pac-12) began its Oregon roadtrip with a victory over Oregon (3-3-4, 1-1) by a score of 3-1. It marked the Bruins’ fifth road victory of the season and 10th overall, continuing their undefeated start to the season.

UCLA got the scoring started early with freshman midfielder Sofia Cook sending the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal in the 24th minute.

“I was just really excited to score away and get our team on the front for it,” Cook said.

However, the blue and gold’s first-period scoring did not stop there. Less than minutes later, senior forward Sunshine Fontes brought the tally to 2-0 off a free kick granted to the Bruins after a red card was called on the Ducks’ goalkeeper Leah Freeman.

Fontes currently leads UCLA in scoring with seven goals thus far this season, accounting for nearly 25% of the Bruins’ cumulative scoring. Fontes said she is excited to be able to lead the scoring group but couldn’t do it without her teammates.

“It’s super special this season. We have a lot of offensive firepower,” Fontes said. “Just being able to lead that group and just score and try to help other players score is just amazing.”

Defensively, UCLA held Oregon to zero shots throughout the entire first half and held majority possession of the ball by crafting 12 shots of its own, three of which were on goal.

The scoring drought didn’t last long.

In the 61st minute, the Ducks put their first goal on the board, bringing the score to 2-1. Oregon would not find the back of the net again.

Coach Margueritte Aozasa said that while the team was not happy with the goal it allowed, she is otherwise proud of the dependability of the defensive players.

“It’s great I think to have just reliable players back there,” Aozasa said. “I was really proud of how they approached the game, and we did get tested a few times, and each time, they stepped up to the challenge, although we are pretty disappointed with the goal we allowed.”

To close the scoring on the night, senior forward Kali Trevithick would find the back of the net for the Bruins 19 minutes later, her third goal this season after missing the last two years because of injury. Oregon had the opportunity to bring its goal total to two, but the ball cruised through the air far to the left of the goal post.

“Every time Kali steps on the field, I think it’s a special moment for us, given her history,” Aozasa said. “I was really proud of her to go into a game that was a tight game, and she really stepped up to the challenge, and she gave us what we needed.”

UCLA finished the game having collected 25 shots – seven of which were on goal – and only allowed two shots from its opponent, one being on goal. The Bruins also forced the opposing goalie to accumulate four saves, while they gathered zero saves themselves.

Aozasa said she is hoping for 90 minutes of consistency from her team in their next matchup.

“Tonight was a tale of two halves,” Aozasa said. “We played really well in the first half. We played very poorly in the second half. So I’m hoping that they’ll kind of refocus for Sunday and put together a more complete performance.”

UCLA will continue its Oregon venture with a match against Oregon State in Corvallis on Sunday at 12 p.m.

Grace Whitaker | Sports senior staff
Whitaker is currently a senior staff writer on the football, men's basketball and women's basketball beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, women's soccer, beach volleyball and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and beach volleyball beats.