LAFD, UCPD respond to fires at annual Roebling block party

Two fires broke out on Roebling Avenue on Thursday night as multiple individuals set objects ablaze during the annual Roebling block party. (Jeremy Chen/Assistant Photo editor)

By Constanza Montemayor

This post was updated Oct. 2 at 10:05 p.m.

Two fires were put out on Roebling Avenue on Thursday night after several individuals lit various objects on fire during the Roebling block party.

Hanako Rahdert, a fourth-year applied mathematics student, said the first fire broke out around 11 p.m., with the second following about 15 minutes later farther up the street.

Individuals threw multiple objects into the blaze, including two Bird e-scooters, a recycling bin and a UCLA move-in cart, Rahdert said. The crowd chanted “‘F ’SC” as the fires burned, she added.

The Los Angeles Fire Department arrived shortly after the fires began and extinguished both by midnight. UCPD dispersed the crowd shortly after. (Jeremy Chen/Assistant Photo editor)

Los Angeles Fire Department fire captain Brian Russell said LAFD arrived at the scene a few minutes after the first fire began, putting it out around 11:30 p.m. and circling back soon after to put out the second. UCPD patrolled and cleared the area surrounding the fires around midnight.

LAFD left the area around 12:42 a.m.

In previous years, the Roebling block party has been planned and quietly publicized to avoid police scrutiny.

Sofia Alvarez, a third-year sociology student, said she heard about the annual block party from friends and came to see the tradition.

“It’s kind of wild,” Alvarez said. “It’s very, very nice to see a whole community of people come together for one singular event.”

Constanza Montemayor | News senior staff
Montemayor is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 News editor, the 2021-2022 features and student life editor, a News reporter, Photo contributor for the news beat and Arts contributor. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.