UCLA to acquire new sites in Rancho Palos Verdes, San Pedro

UCLA’s campus from above. Chancellor Gene Block announced Tuesday that UCLA would acquire a total of 35.5 acres of land from sites at Rancho Palos Verdes and San Pedro. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Alexandra Kaiser

UCLA will acquire two new sites in Rancho Palos Verdes and San Pedro, Chancellor Gene Block announced in a systemwide email Tuesday.

The new sites, totaling 35.5 acres, will enable the university to expand campus access to students, following the University of California’s goal to increase enrollment by 2030, the announcement said.

The two sites, located 30 miles south of Westwood, were formerly part of Marymount California University, Block said in the email. MCU ceased operations over the summer and agreed to a deal with UCLA because of their shared educational commitments, he also said.

This acquisition is the largest land acquisition in UCLA history and can help instruct almost 1,000 students, according to UCLA Newsroom.

The university will work with the Academic Senate to establish a task force composed of faculty and administration to determine which academic programs the new sites may house, Block said in the email, adding that the locations may be in use as early as 2023.

“This acquisition will allow us to expand student access in line with UC’s 2030 goals, strengthen our connections to the greater Los Angeles region, and deepen our institution’s research and public service impact,” he said in the email.

Alexandra Kaiser | Campus politics editor
Kaiser is the 2022-2023 campus politics editor. She was previously a News reporter and Opinion columnist. She is also a third-year communication and political science student.