UCLA Store market now accepts CalFresh in efforts to combat campus food insecurity

An electronic benefits transfer card in front of the UCLA Store. As of mid-August, the market at the UCLA Store in Ackerman Union has begun accepting CalFresh electronic food benefits. (Photo illustration by Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin staff)

By Constanza Montemayor

The market at the UCLA Store in Ackerman Union is now accepting CalFresh as part of an effort to combat food insecurity on campus.

Federally recognized as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the CalFresh program is meant to supplement low-income individuals’ budgets to make sure they can purchase nutritious food, according to the California Department of Social Services. The program consists of monthly electronic food benefits distributed for use in many food markets and stores.

Jose Quiroz, UCLA Store Market division manager, said students, including groups from the UCLA CalFresh Initiative and Community Programs Office, were behind the push to bring CalFresh to the market, as many students face food insecurity. According to a 2016 survey by the University of California Global Food Initiative, around 42% of UC students reported that they had experienced food insecurity.

The store took on new inventory and a new point of sale – or cash register – system to accept electronic benefits transfers, Quiroz said.

The store has been working to get the system running smoothly and avoid issues with stigma surrounding the use of CalFresh for about a year, Quiroz said. He added that in the weeks since the store began accepting CalFresh in mid-August, there have been close to 400 EBT transactions, even with little marketing of the new opportunity.

“I can only imagine that … it’s going to explode,” Quiroz said during an interview Sept. 22. “I mean, (there have been) 100 transactions a week with nobody on campus yet, really. So I’m assuming the student population very much will welcome it, embrace it and use it. That’s all I can hope for.”

The market is also open to suggestions for new inventory regarding food products, Quiroz said, adding he is willing to consider feedback to ensure various cuisines are available and cultures are represented.

Cameryn Tucker, a second-year undeclared student, said she appreciates the CalFresh option at the market and is looking forward to using her EBT to save money getting meals on campus.

The market will also be a convenient option to avoid walking back up to the dining halls for meals in between classes rather than spending extra money at restaurants on campus away from the Hill, Tucker said. Having to walk down to Westwood stores such as Trader Joe’s or Target to use EBT has also been inconvenient previously, she said.

As a dorm resident, Tucker said she plans to purchase food options that don’t require cooking, adding that bringing in more produce options to the market could serve to attract students using EBT.

“I do plan on going and getting salads during the day and stuff like that but nothing that I really have to cook, but I think they should add more stuff like that in there,” Tucker said.

Diana Tran, a third-year cognitive science student, said she has been waiting to be able to use EBT on campus since her freshman year.

She said being able to use EBT on campus will be much more convenient and cost-effective for grabbing snacks on the way to and from class. However, other friends with EBT hope the store will begin to offer more produce to make it easier to grocery shop there, she added.

Tran said she expects to shop more at the store now with the new EBT option.

“I do see myself going to the market more often,” Tran said. “I’ve already gone more this week than I’ve gone in probably all my time at UCLA.”

Contributing reports by Alexandra Kaiser, campus politics editor.

Constanza Montemayor | News senior staff
Montemayor is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 News editor, the 2021-2022 features and student life editor, a News reporter, Photo contributor for the news beat and Arts contributor. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.