Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

UCLA announces establishment of Infectious Diseases Management Team

Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center is pictured. UCLA announced the creation of the Infectious Diseases Management Team to replace the UCLA COVID-19 Response and Recovery Task Force and Case Management Team. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Aditi Kumar

Correction: The original version of this post incorrectly stated Tim Groeling is a member of the Associated Students UCLA Communications Board. In fact, he is no longer a member of the board.

This post was updated Oct. 6 at 3:02 p.m.

UCLA announced the establishment of the Infectious Diseases Management Team to monitor the public health situation and develop long-term public health strategies in a campuswide email Monday.

Administrative Vice Chancellor Michael Beck and Vice Chancellor of UCLA Health Sciences John Mazziotta said in the email that the IDMT would replace both the UCLA COVID-19 Response and Recovery Task Force and Case Management Team, effective this month.

Beck and Mazziotta added that the IDMT would take into account how their strategies could impact the UCLA community and the university.

According to the UCLA administration, the IDMT’s duties will include responding to existing and emerging infectious diseases – along with potential public health emergencies, such as COVID-19 – and changing public health restrictions and recommendations from institutions such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Los Angeles County Department of Public Health as needed for conditions at the university, as well as developing strategies to address these issues.

Tim Groeling, a professor in the communication studies department, and Michelle Sityar, chief of staff in UCLA administration, will co-chair the IDMT, the email said, adding the IDMT will include campus and health system students, staff and faculty.

“One of our greatest priorities is the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff,” Beck and Mazziotta said. “Monitoring and responding to emerging infectious diseases will therefore be vital as we continue to work to protect our fellow Bruins and their UCLA experience.”

Aditi Kumar | Science and health editor
Kumar is the 2022-2023 science and health editor. She was previously a contributor for the science and health beat and a Graphics staff member. She is also a third-year bioengineering student minoring in bioinformatics.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]