Saturday, May 18, 2024

Crimewatch: July 1-14, 2022

By Benjamin Apsley and Lindsey Parungo

UCPD recorded 227 unique entries in its July 1 to 14 daily crime log.

Sources: UCPD. Graphic reporting by Benjamin Apsley, city and crime editor. Interactive by Lindsey Parungo, Data editor.

University police received 44 crime reports July 1 to 14 that resulted in active police cases.

Of the 44 crime reports resulting in cases, 26 were open cases and 18 were closed or inactive as of July 14, according to a UCPD crime and fire log.

Theft and burglary was the most common category, with 16 reports resulting in cases, followed by six reports of drug and controlled substance, according to the log.

UCPD also recorded 183 events that did not result in active cases, with the following statuses as of July 14:

Detail handled: no report: 36

Report taken: 27

Information only: 17

Non-criminal matter: 30

Warned or advised: 9

Canceled (by any party): 31

Victim not desirous of report: 5

Referred to outside agency: 13

Unable to locate: 8

Field interviewed: 4

Courtesy report: 2

Citation issued: 0

Unfounded: 0

Of the 183 incidents not resulting in cases, one were categorized as rape or other sex crime. UCPD categorized one event as a rape report, zero as sexual battery reports and 0 as indecent exposure reports.

Data for this story was obtained as a public record under the Jeanne Clery Act, which requires universities to report campus crime data.

Some cases listed in this story are currently under investigation. Anyone with information can call UCPD at 310-825-1491.

Benjamin Apsley
Lindsey Parungo | Data editor
Parungo is the 2022-2023 Data editor. She was previously the assistant Data editor and a developer for The Stack. She is a fourth-year financial actuarial mathematics student.