Crimewatch: June 19-30, 2022

By Benjamin Apsley and Lindsey Parungo

UCPD recorded 138 unique entries in its June 19 to 30 daily crime log.

Sources: UCPD. Graphic reporting by Benjamin Apsley, Daily Bruin city and crime editor. Interactive by Lindsey Parungo, Data editor.

University police received 23 crime reports from June 19 to 30 that resulted in active police cases.

Of the 23 crime reports resulting in cases, 16 were open cases and seven were closed or inactive as of Thursday, according to a UCPD crime and fire log.

Theft and burglary was the most common category, with seven reports resulting in cases, followed by five reports of drug and controlled substance, according to the log.

UCPD also recorded 115 events that did not result in active cases, with the following statuses as of Thursday:

Detail handled: no report: 30

Report taken: 10

Information only: 13

Non-criminal matter: 16

Warned or advised: 4

Canceled (by any party): 11

Victim not desirous of report: 10

Referred to outside agency: 10

Unable to locate: 4

Field interviewed: 2

Courtesy report: 1

Citation issued: 0

Unfounded: 0

Of the 115 incidents not resulting in cases, three were categorized as rape or other sex crime. UCPD categorized zero events as rape reports, three as sexual battery reports and zero as indecent exposure reports.

Data for this story was obtained as a public record under the Jeanne Clery Act, which requires universities to report campus crime data.

Some cases listed in this story are currently under investigation. Anyone with information can call UCPD at 310-825-1491.

Benjamin Apsley
Lindsey Parungo | Data editor
Parungo is the 2022-2023 Data editor. She was previously the assistant Data editor and a developer for The Stack. She is a fourth-year financial actuarial mathematics student.