Editorship made me appreciate living in the moment because time flies -30-

Gabriella Kchozyan stands for a portrait. (Megan Cai/Assistant Photo editor)

By Gabriella Kchozyan

I began my job as a copy editor reviewing -30- columns. Now I’m writing one.

It’s hard to believe how quickly time passes or slowly, depending on how late print shifts are running. While my time at The Bruin is coming to an end, I will always carry with me the copy editing skills I’ve learned, the memories I’ve made and the dread of seeing a message pop up in the copy-breaking Slack channel in the late hours of the night.

That’s editorship for you: working around the clock.

Did I hate it at times? Sure. Do I regret any of it? Not at all.

I transferred to UCLA in fall 2020, when everything was online. I had no idea how I would adjust to a whole new institution, especially when I couldn’t even see other people in person. What I did know was that I was in a time crunch. I had two years at this place, and I was working against the clock to get involved on campus.

I had been involved in journalism in high school. At community college, I was too preoccupied with general education classes and other extracurricular activities to continue it. I decided I wanted to rekindle my interest in journalism while at UCLA. I remember submitting my Copy intern application online. My acceptance marked the beginning of my journey with the Daily Bruin, even if it was mostly virtual.

That year went by in the blink of an eye.

When it came time to apply for editorship, I was scared. Though I had always excelled in reading and writing my whole life, I fell victim to impostor syndrome. I remember taking my proofer test on my 21st birthday and failing it. I felt as if everyone already knew each other and I was an outsider, especially because my involvement had been limited to Slack.

I was just a newbie Copy intern. Would anyone give me a chance? Were there even any transfers in The Bruin? I had no idea.

My senior year showed me how valuable time is – and to be on schedule.

I was grateful to have been accepted as a slot editor during my last year at UCLA. To say it’s been a learning experience would be an understatement.

For one, fall was in person, and I’m also a commuter. It was hard enough to navigate campus and long traffic hours. Once I threw editorship in the mix, I really began feeling how difficult it was to be a transfer commuter student, especially one navigating student life in the middle of a pandemic.

Kerckhoff Hall 118 quickly became my go-to study spot and favorite place on campus. It was also the most familiar. I began seeing other students for the first time in more than a year and planted the seeds of what would become my Daily Bruin community.

Of course, being a commuter, I sadly missed out on a lot of Daily Bruin events and socials. I also often had to make long drives home late at night if print shifts ran longer than scheduled. The nice part, though, was that I’ve inadvertently learned so much about our campus and Westwood community just through editing. For example, I now know about our sports teams, campus events and nearby food locations because of the talented writers our wonderful organization has.

That’s been the best part of all of this: seeing everyone’s talent and passions shine through.

I’ve always worked behind the scenes. In fact, this is my third – and probably final – article I’ve ever written at The Bruin. My main job is to make sure everyone else’s voices are uplifted and conveyed the best they can be. I’ve copy edited so much great content this last year, such as the Black History Month and Native American Heritage Month packages. I’ve learned a lot about myself and others through editing, and it’s immensely gratifying to give underrepresented groups representation in the media. I hope this institution continues to empower others through diverse and culturally sensitive reporting.

I complain a lot about being a copy editor, but looking back, I invested my time into the UCLA community in a positive way, and I don’t regret a single part of it.

This year has been rough. I’ve gone through a lot of hardships and sometimes my responsibility to edit has kept me from taking care of myself. I hope future Daily Bruin members and editors remember to cut themselves some slack – pun intended – especially my fellow transfer students.

I am now passing the torch to the next generation of copy editors. In the nick of time, you might even be writing your own -30- column.

My time – and writing space – is running out, but take heed of my words and enjoy your moments here. Cherish the good, the bad and the printer jams. Working at the Daily Bruin is not for the faint of heart, but it runs like clockwork because our members are the best.

Before I clock out, just remember: Make every second count.

Kchozyan was a Copy contributor 2020-2021, slot editor 2021-2022 and News contributor 2021-2022.

Gabriella Kchozyan