Men’s basketball guard Jules Bernard announces decision to stay in 2022 NBA Draft

UCLA men’s basketball senior guard Jules Bernard passes the ball in a game against Arizona State. Bernard will keep his name in the 2022 NBA Draft, forgoing his last year of eligibility with the Bruins. (Marc-Anthony Rosas/Daily Bruin)

By Jon Christon

June 2, 2022 10:37 a.m.

The Bruins lost one more starter at the buzzer.

Senior guard Jules Bernard is staying in the 2022 NBA Draft, forgoing his extra year of eligibility with UCLA men’s basketball. Bernard – who announced his decision in an Instagram post Wednesday night – was the last early entrant in the draft to announce their decision before the 8:59 p.m. deadline Wednesday.

“It has been 4 magical years wearing these 4 letters across my chest,” Bernard wrote in his Instagram post. “I have always tried to represent this great institution and you, the alumni and fans, with dignity and class. I hope in some small way I’ve made you proud.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Jules Liam Bernard🇹🇹 (@juleslbernard)

Bernard recently competed at the NBA G League Elite Camp – scoring 34 points across two scrimmages – but did not earn an invite to the NBA Draft Combine and is not featured in any major mock drafts. He has worked out with individual teams throughout the draft process, including the Los Angeles Lakers earlier Wednesday and the Utah Jazz on Sunday.

With junior guard Johnny Juzang and redshirt senior forward Cody Riley officially turning professional earlier in the offseason, Bernard is the third UCLA starter to depart since the season’s end. They join freshman guard/forward Peyton Watson in entering the draft, while junior guard/forward Jake Kyman and redshirt senior center Myles Johnson also both left the team.

“I believe it is my time to step aside and see others experience that opportunity to enjoy to perform on college basketball’s most storied stage … Pauley Pavilion,” Bernard wrote.

Junior guard/forward Jaime Jaquez Jr. and redshirt junior guard Tyger Campbell are now the only two returning Bruin starters. Sophomore guard Jaylen Clark and senior guard David Singleton represent the remaining players on the roster who have started multiple games for the blue and gold.

To replace the departures, UCLA will welcome in a three-man recruiting class headlined by five-star guard Amari Bailey and five-star center Adem Bona. Coach Mick Cronin has also been linked to a number of players in the transfer portal.

“Coach Cronin has put together an amazing team with the perfect mix of experience and a talented recruiting class,” Bernard wrote. “I’ll be cheering them on, on their journey to a 12th banner.”

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.