UCLA baseball drops late night matchup against California in Pac-12 tournament

No. 3 seed UCLA baseball high-fives after a game May 13. The Bruins dropped their opening game of the Pac-12 Tournament to No. 6 seed California in Scottsdale, Arizona, on Thursday morning. (Olivia Simons/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Baseball

No. 6 seed California4
No. 3 seed UCLA1

By Joseph Crosby

Left-hander Josh Hahn delivered the first pitch of the game for the Bruins on Wednesday at 10:18 p.m.

Over three hours and one calendar day later, the blue and gold walked off the field in defeat.

No. 3 seed UCLA baseball (35-21, 19-11 Pac-12) dropped its first game of the inaugural Pac-12 tournament to No. 6 seed California (29-25, 14-16) by a score of 4-1 on Thursday morning in Scottsdale, Arizona. The Pac-12 After Dark loss moves the Bruins into the losers bracket and puts them at risk of being eliminated from the tournament.

Hahn needed nine pitches to retire Cal in order in the first, ending the inning with a ground out to sophomore third baseman and All-Conference defender Kyle Karros. The junior recorded the first out of the second inning to make the outing the longest of his season, but was replaced by junior right-hander Charles Harrison after allowing two singles.

Harrison ended the inning unscathed to turn it over to the Bruins’ offense for the bottom of the second. Karros recorded UCLA’s first hit and was followed up by another single and a walk to load the bases, but sophomore center fielder Carson Yates struck out to end the threat and keep the Bruins scoreless.

The Golden Bears opened the scoring in the third on an inside-the-park home run by right fielder Dylan Beavers. Cal’s home-run leader, Beavers launched a fly ball over the head of Yates who watched it bounce off the wall and skirt away to allow Beavers to reach home.

Freshman right-hander Luke Jewett entered for the Bruins in the fourth and allowed a home run over the right field wall, one of four hits conceded by the freshman in the cut inning.

UCLA juiced the bases for a second time in the fourth, but Yates’ second strikeout of the game stranded all three runners.

Making his first appearance in over a month, junior left-hander Jake Saum entered in the fifth with runners at the corners after Jewett allowed a third run to score. The southpaw gave up a sacrifice fly to left field to make it a 4-0 game, but proceeded to end the inning by picking off the inherited runner at first.

The blue and gold broke through in the eighth to end the shutout behind a sacrifice fly from junior catcher Darius Perry. Karros – who reached base four times with three hits – scored from third. However, one run was all UCLA could get as graduate student left fielder Kenny Oyama flied out to right field.

Senior left-hander Daniel Colwell had a three up, three down frame in the ninth to keep the Golden Bears’ lead at three, but the Bruins were ultimately unable to mount a comeback as they were sat down in order.

UCLA will take on No. 7 seed Washington on Thursday afternoon.

Joseph Crosby | Sports editor
Crosby is the 2023-2024 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and NIL beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the baseball and women's golf beats. He is also a fourth-year statistics student.