UCLA baseball strikes out against Irvine after promising weekend sweep

Sophomore infielder Daylen Reyes runs to first in a game against Stanford on April 15. Reyes collected two hits and scored the lone run for No. 23 UCLA baseball against Irvine on Tuesday. (Jenny Xu/Daily Bruin)

Baseball

UC Irvine8

By Jay Fenn

This post was updated May 18 at 10:44 p.m.

The Bruins ended a five-game losing streak with a sweep over the weekend.

However, the blue and gold could not carry that momentum into its midweek contest.

No. 23 UCLA baseball (33-19, 17-10 Pac-12) fell to UC Irvine (29-21, 13-11 Big West) by a score of 8-1 on Tuesday at Anteater Ballpark. It was the second time this season the Bruins fell to the Anteaters and was the sixth midweek loss of the year for the blue and gold – its most since 2017.

After the contest, coach John Savage said he had one word to describe the Bruins’ performance.

“Disappointment,” Savage said. “I didn’t think we played the way we played this past weekend.”

Senior left-hander Daniel Colwell took the mound for UCLA and surrendered two earned runs for the second consecutive Tuesday. The Bruins used a season-high nine pitchers on the night, with seven of them giving up at least one run.

“I don’t think we pitched very well on the night at all,” Savage said. “Not clean baseball whatsoever. Whenever you don’t play clean baseball, unfortunately, you get what you get.”

Sophomore right-hander Caedon Kottinger was one of two Bruin pitchers to not give up a run. The Reno, Nevada, native made his UCLA debut Tuesday and delivered a shutout inning while allowing one baserunner via a hit-by-pitch.

Kottinger said it was fulfilling to finally make his debut donning the blue and gold.

“There was a lot of emotions, especially with it being my first outing,” Kottinger said. “It was a lot of excitement just being able to go out there and compete for the guys.”

Two days after scoring 22 runs in three games against Washington State, UCLA could not find the same success at the plate against Irvine. The Bruins garnered seven hits while striking out 11 times in the contest.

Sophomore second baseman Daylen Reyes said the Bruins’ offense will need to regroup heading into their next game.

“We just need to come together as a team,” Reyes said. “No pointing fingers. This stuff happens sometimes. But we work through adversity better as a team and compete harder.”

UCLA was missing shortstop Cody Schrier – who leads the team in hits, home runs, RBIs and runs – against Irvine, as Savage said the freshman was given the night off for extra rest ahead of the weekend series. Tuesday represented the first game all season Schrier has missed.

Reyes said there was definitely a hole in the lineup without the shortstop, but he expects the rest of the Bruins to step up and replace his production.

“He’s (Schrier) been great all year, and he’s a leader for us for sure,” Reyes said. “At the end of the day, it’s a team sport, and we got to do a better job coming together, especially in that situation.”

With a matchup against No. 2 Oregon State on Thursday looming, Savage said the Bruins need to be ready.

“We need to regroup and get on the road tomorrow,” Savage said. “(We) got to play a lot better than we did tonight.”

Jay Fenn | Sports staff
Fenn is currently a Sports staffer on the baseball beat. He was previously a reporter on the women's soccer beat and a contributor on the beach volleyball and men's and women's golf beats.