UCLA rowing to face out-of-conference opponents at Longhorn Invitational

Members of UCLA rowing row down the creek in a race April 16. The Bruins will be traveling to Texas for the Longhorn Invitational starting Friday. (David Rimer/Assistant Photo editor)

By Genevieve Trimbell

The Bruins will travel to Texas after a sweep at home.

UCLA rowing (1-1) will take on No. 1 Texas, No. 9 Ohio State, No. 11 Virginia and No. 15 SMU at the Longhorn Invitational in Austin, Texas, on Friday and Saturday. The invitational comes after the Bruins won every race in their regatta against Loyola Marymount on April 16 and will represent the blue and gold’s final event before the Pac-12 championships in May.

“The training is going well,” said interim head coach Previn Chandraratna.“People are feeling fresh and healthy and happy, and I think LMU reflected that.”

After the regatta against the Lions, Chandraratna said the Bruins’ wins were assisted by their ability to be dominant at the beginning of their races.

Junior port Jane DiLauro said those strong starts are something the team continued to emphasize in training.

“We are always working on getting quick catches in, which is the way you get the ball moving at the top end as fast as possible,” DiLauro said.

Along with mastering the beginning of the race, UCLA is also working on the middle of each competition, which can make or break the end result of the race, according to Chandraratna.

“At the beginning of the season, we’re just trying to execute the first part of the race and get into our rhythm,” Chandraratna said. “We’re working on the middle and the end of the race to make sure that we’re executing there because in the biggest races, that’s where the races are won.”

Besides Texas, who UCLA rowed against March 26 at the San Diego Crew Classic, the blue and gold will face teams at the Longhorn Invitational that it has yet to see this season.

Chandraratna said the Bruins embrace the chance to compete against teams that are not part of the Pac-12.

“As a team, we really value these out-of-conference opportunities,” Chandraratna said. “We’re just looking forward to the chance to test our speed against multiple top-20 teams.”

Sophomore port Mia Glinn added that competing against unfamiliar opponents could give UCLA a chance to move into the national rankings.

“We’re most excited to get to see some of the out-of-conference teams and people that we don’t normally race against in the Pac-12,” Glinn said. “If we get some wins, we can crack into the rankings.”

The Bruins’ boats will hit the water in Texas starting Friday.

Genevieve Trimbell | Sports contributor
Trimbell is currently a contributor on the gymnastics and rowing beats.