UCLA softball’s winning streak to be tested in Cal State Fullerton matchup

Redshirt senior infielder Briana Perez swings her bat in a game against San Diego on April 19. Perez and No. 3 UCLA softball will take on another midweek opponent in Cal State Fullerton on Wednesday. (Patrick Shao/Daily Bruin)

Softball

Cal State Fullerton
Wednesday, 6 p.m.

Easton Stadium
No TV info

By Gavin Carlson

Despite four straight wins, the Bruins aren’t satisfied with their current form, according to Briana Perez.

“We’re not firing on all cylinders right now,” said the redshirt senior infielder. “We have some more that we can give to the team.”

After needing comebacks in two of its three victories at Oregon State last weekend, No. 3 UCLA softball (36-5, 13-2 Pac-12) will have the opportunity to extend its perfect 15-0 record at Easton Stadium in a nonconference matchup against Cal State Fullerton (31-15, 15-3 Big West) on Wednesday evening.

The Bruins entered last weekend’s Pac-12 series outscoring opponents 254-49 this season – good for an average margin of victory of 5.4 runs per game – but won all three contests against the Beavers by one run. Assistant coach Kirk Walker said the team has been performing suboptimally but added that it is getting the job done in key phases.

“We’re not playing our best, but we are definitely finding ways to win,” Walker said. “We’re finding our clutch hitting and really relying on our pitching and defense.”

After being shut out in back-to-back games against Stanford on April 9 and 10, the blue and gold scored eight times in its midweek victory over San Diego and posted a combined 13 runs in its three Pac-12 contests in Corvallis. Last weekend’s 4.3 runs per game scoring output against the Beavers came after averaging 6.7 runs per game heading into the series.

Despite the overall offensive regression, UCLA used a five-run seventh Friday and a three-run fourth Saturday to earn consecutive come-from-behind wins before holding off an Oregon State comeback attempt Sunday.

“It’s just good that we can scrap out a win when we’re not all on our best ‘A’ game,” Perez said. “It’s good knowing that and knowing that it’s preparing us for postseason.”

UCLA will face a midweek challenge against a Fullerton squad on the heels of a six-game winning streak. The Big West Conference’s top team boasts a resume with a win over then-No. 8 Arizona on Feb. 24 and a Feb. 26 win against a Northwestern team that had defeated the blue and gold eight days prior.

Heading into their matchup against the Bruins, the Titans are 13-2 on the road and rank in the top 50 nationally in batting average and fielding percentage. In addition to ranking at least 15 spots higher than Fullerton in both aforementioned statistics, UCLA boasts a 1.29 ERA that ranks second in the country and exactly 99 spots higher than its upcoming Big West opponent.

Redshirt senior infielder Delanie Wisz has been the primary catcher all season for the Bruins’ pitching staff while simultaneously leading the team – among players who’ve played at least 10 games – in batting average, RBIs and OBP. After her 31-game on-base streak was snapped Sunday, the former Loyola Marymount standout said the team is motivated by the opportunity to grow individually and as a collective.

“I don’t think we have seen our best softball, which is exciting for us,” Wisz said. “We’re just going to keep moving forward and keep getting better.”

Gavin Carlson | Sports staff
Carlson is currently a staff writer on the football, men's basketball and women's basketball beats. He was previously a reporter on the softball and men's golf beats.