UCLA softball prepares to face off against San Diego in nonconference matchup

Redshirt senior infielder Kinsley Washington bunts the ball in a game against CSU Bakersfield on March 11. Washington and No. 4 UCLA softball will take on San Diego for a midweek matchup Tuesday. (Marc-Anthony Rosas/Daily Bruin)

softball

San Diego
Tuesday, 5 p.m.

Easton Stadium
No TV info

By Jordan Coyle

The Bruins are taking a pause from Pac-12 play to face a familiar nonconference opponent.

No. 4 UCLA softball (32-5, 10-2 Pac-12) will face San Diego (19-25, 4-1 WCC) in a Tuesday evening contest at Easton Stadium. The midweek matchup marks the blue and gold’s return to the diamond after a bye week following a series loss against Stanford from April 8-10.

The Bruins’ back-to-back shutouts in their final games against the Cardinal mark the first time since 2013 that they failed to score a run in two consecutive games.

Coming off its first Pac-12 losses of the season, coach Kelly Inouye-Perez said she expects the team to bounce back even stronger after a week of productive practices.

“We’re going to approach it the same way we always do and be a little sharper, a little better and a little bit more aware that if we don’t, we could lose ballgames,” Inouye-Perez said. “I believe the team will respond by playing the best game that we know how.”

Redshirt senior infielder Kinsley Washington said practices this week have focused on preparing each Bruin to perform under pressure.

“This week in practice we focused on being ‘the one,'” Washington said. “We define that as being able to go up with an opportunity, with your heart racing with everything going on in your mind, and being able to reset and get to your foundation and execute on the dime.”

In between their series against the Cardinal and their one-game matchup against the Toreros, the Bruins had a rare bye-week in the middle of the season.

Redshirt senior infielder Briana Perez said the break gave UCLA a necessary rest to continue the later part of the campaign.

“Out of my five years this was the first weekend that I was able to go home and spend some time with family in the middle of the season,” Perez said. “It was definitely a good refresh button for all of us, and especially getting to see family was a much-needed push to finish the rest of the season.”

UCLA’s contest against San Diego gives the Bruins the opportunity to improve their record against the Toreros to 11-0 since 1999.

Washington, who is 7-for-11 at the plate in her career against San Diego, said the break from Pac-12 play against a known opponent gives UCLA the opportunity to try some new things.

“Our main focus is just going out there and playing as a unit, trying to string as many hits together to come out on top,” Washington said. “Since it’s not conference play, we’re able to work on new things and try out different strategies.”

The first pitch versus the Toreros is set for 5 p.m.

Jordan Coyle | Sports contributor
Coyle is currently a Sports contributor on the softball beat.