UCLA baseball earns series win in Utah despite limited personnel

No. 15 UCLA baseball’s freshman shortstop Cody Schrier runs the base path in a game versus Oregon. Schrier accumulated seven hits in a three-game series against Utah over the weekend. (Jenny Xu/Daily Bruin)

Baseball

Utah5
Utah3
Utah7

By Jared Tay

As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end.

After taking the first two games in Salt Lake City, No. 15 UCLA baseball (22-9, 8-4 Pac-12) failed to complete the sweep over Utah (18-13-1, 5-7) on Sunday afternoon at Smith’s Ballpark. The Bruins took games one and two of the series, extending their winning streak to eight consecutive games before the string of victories ended with a 7-6 loss to the Utes in the series finale.

UCLA trailed at one point in each of its last six wins but came back to win each game by one run. The eight straight victories marked the Bruins’ longest winning streak since the 2020 season.

“It’s huge,” said freshman shortstop Cody Schrier. “Just knowing that all these games are going to be such a grind and we can win them is huge.”

With the chance to extend that streak to nine wins, freshman left-hander Gage Jump took the mound in his first collegiate start Sunday. He received the ball after freshman right-hander Thatcher Hurd – UCLA’s Sunday starter last week – was diagnosed with a potentially season-ending back injury.

“We’re crazy beat up,” said coach John Savage. “I’ve never seen injuries like this, this many. I can go up and down the roster, it’s crazy. But it’s also an opportunity for guys to step up.”

From the get-go on Sunday, Jump was shelled by the Utes’ offense. In 1.2 innings, the lefty allowed three earned runs on three hits, including a home run that gave Utah a three-run lead in the first inning.

“He can use this as a learning experience,” Savage said. “We have a ton of belief in Gage and his ability, and I think everybody has seen how talented this guy is. He’ll be fine, he’ll bounce back.”

But the UCLA bats brought the team back as junior catcher Darius Perry and graduate student first baseman Jake Palmer combined to drive in three of the Bruins’ four runs in the top of the second inning. When Utah tied the contest in the middle innings, Perry and Schrier both drove runners in to give UCLA another lead.

“I’m starting to figure myself out,” Schrier said. “I’ve already learned so much. I’m seeing the ball pretty well, especially this weekend.”

Sunday’s come-from-behind offense was par for the course for the Bruins during their time in Salt Lake City. In Friday and Saturday’s wins, the blue and gold also fell behind early but managed to claw its way back to secure a win.

Game one saw the Bruins put together a three-run eighth inning to tie the game and eventually win in extra innings. Schrier led the Bruins with a 3-for-6 night that included two runs and an RBI.

In game two, a pair of two-run innings was all the offense UCLA needed to overcome an early one-run deficit and ultimately win the game 4-3.

“We all feel that we’re never really out of a game,” said sophomore designated hitter Daylen Reyes. “We may be down but we’re always putting opportunities up and we’re always in a game regardless of the score. We respond to adversity really well.”

Reyes got the Bruins’ scoring started with a two-run blast over the wall in Saturday’s game – his first career home run.

“It was awesome,” Reyes said. “It felt good to get us back in the game.”

Back on the field Sunday, the Bruins were in position to pull off another come-from-behind victory with a lead in the late innings. But those hopes were washed away with a three-run seventh inning for the Utes.

Nearing his second inning of work, senior left-hander Daniel Colwell allowed two runners on base before giving way to right-hander Chris Aldrich. The redshirt freshman threw five pitches before he was also pulled, giving up two hits that led to two Ute runs.

The bleeding didn’t stop there. Junior left-hander Jake Saum walked in the third run of the inning, giving the Utes the lead. It wasn’t until redshirt sophomore right-hander Kelly Austin relieved Saum that the Bruins were able to get out of the inning.

Trailing by one run, UCLA couldn’t manage another comeback. The Bruins went 1-2-3 in the top of the eighth inning, and though they managed one base runner in the final frame, it was wiped off by a game-ending double play.

UCLA will return home and head to Malibu to face Pepperdine in its midweek game Tuesday.

Jared Tay | Sports senior staff
Tay is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the men's basketball beat. He was previously an assistant Sports editor for the baseball, men's soccer, men's tennis, cross country and women's tennis beats. Tay was previously a contributor on the men's tennis beat.