Women’s tennis bounces back from Pepperdine loss to sweep Oregon in 4 matches

UCLA women’s tennis senior Elysia Bolton celebrates during a match. Bolton won her doubles and singles matches on Senior Day in the Bruins’ win over Oregon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. (David Rimer/Assistant Photo editor)

Women's tennis

No. 6 Pepperdine4
Oregon0

By Amelie Ionescu

This post was updated April 10 at 11:25 p.m.

With one final shot, senior Elysia Bolton secured the first doubles win of the day for the Bruins to remain undefeated in doubles in conference play.

The 6-2 doubles win from the No. 47-ranked duo of Bolton and freshman Elise Wagle gave No. 16 UCLA women’s tennis (11-4, 7-0 Pac-12) an early lead and ultimately a sweep over Oregon (14-6, 5-4) at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on Friday. The win comes after a 4-3 loss to No. 6 Pepperdine (17-4, 6-0 WCC) on Wednesday.

Bolton said it was a special moment to finish out her last match at home with Wagle.

“My doubles partner and I have been friends for years and so it was so great to play my last doubles match here with her,” Bolton said. “We had a big hug at the end. It felt so good.”

No. 93 Bolton also overcame a deficit early in singles play to secure the second singles point victory for the Bruins, prevailing 6-4, 6-4 over her opponent.

With the senior preparing to graduate in the spring, the match marked Bolton’s last at home.

“I was just trying to not cry the entire time,” Bolton said. “I’ve loved being here for four years, and it’s sad that it’s coming to an end, but I’m ready for the next chapter of my life.”

No. 43 junior Abbey Forbes also celebrated a singles victory and her Senior Day on Friday, defeating Sophie Luescher 6-1, 6-2 to earn the first singles point for UCLA.

Similarly, junior Sasha Vagramov collected wins in both doubles and singles against the Ducks. Playing with freshman Kimmi Hance, Vagramov clinched her doubles win with a cross-court forehand, securing the doubles point for the Bruins.

The junior went on to win her singles match on a serve, prevailing in straight sets 6-2, 7-5.

“Winning the first set was big for me,” Vagramov said. “I did a lot well, and that just helped me stay on track to get through the second set even though it was a lot closer.”

On Wednesday, UCLA won the doubles point but dropped three straight singles matches to hand Pepperdine the win.

Coach Stella Sampras Webster said the match against the Waves reminded the Bruins about the importance of winning pivotal points.

“It was very exciting, and it put us in situations that we haven’t been in,” Sampras Webster said. “Pepperdine played them (deuce points) smarter, and that’s something we can take from that. It’s a matter of we can’t give away free points against a team like Pepperdine. The better teams will take advantage of shortfalls.”

Both teams, Vagramov and Hance as well as Bolton and Wagle, managed to prevail in doubles against the Waves, bringing the doubles point to the Bruins. However, only Forbes and Hance won their singles matches.

“We learned a lot, and I think for them (Oregon), we wanted to see that,” Sampras Webster said. “I was encouraged by our loss to Pepperdine because we were right there, and I feel like we can even get even better.”

Although Friday marked the end of the season at home for UCLA, the blue and gold still has one last match against USC and then the Pac-12 championships before the national championships start.

Sampras Webster said regardless of how the season finishes, she appreciates the contributions that her graduating players – Bolton, Forbes and senior Taylor Johnson – have made to the program.

“What they’re going to take from this experience really means a lot to me and the coaching staff,” Sampras Webster said. “It makes me feel good that they all really appreciate each other, appreciate everyone’s kindness and selflessness and leadership.”

Amelie Ionescu | Sports senior staff
Ionescu was previously an assistant Sports editor on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, swim and dive and rowing beats, and a contributor on the women's tennis beat.