Op-ed: USAC struggles with partisan politics despite diverse membership

By Carl King Jr.

This post was updated April 3 at 8:33 p.m.

One of the most defining moments of my college career happened last spring when I won a very tough election to become one of UCLA’s Undergraduate Students Association Council’s general representatives. I had no idea what I was truly signing up for when I ran as an independent candidate with little experience in the bureaucratic nature of USAC. After a year of serving on the council, I am now at a place where I can give an honest opinion. So what is USAC like for a Black man who joins a UCLA student government institution that swears by inclusion?

One word: intolerant.

Now, you may be wondering why that’s the case, as USAC is one of the most diverse organizations within UCLA. In fact, this year’s council is exclusively made up of people of color, with six of the 15 council members claiming membership in a slate known as For the People, which seeks to empower POC. So, as a Black man from the South who has endured racism, I was very excited to be a part of USAC and serve with these individuals. But even on the first day of council, I was given a glimpse of how the year would play out. From my personal experience, POC would be empowered and uplifted on council if they were a part of the “ruling slate,” and if not, their efforts as a POC were ignored.

Because of partisan politics over the past year, I have been accused of being racist toward POC, being a Trump supporter and being a war criminal – none of which I am. I left the South to escape racism, not to endure it in a different manifestation. My voice was not taken seriously. Just recently, an initiative involving Black students on campus was kept from me.

For clarity, there are three Black council members currently serving. Yet, a proposal to increase funding for the Black Bruin Resource Center listed the names of all Black council members except mine. I was told personally by one of the Afrikan Student Union co-chairs that only she and the USAC president worked on the proposal. Usually, when a proposal involves certain groups, council members associated with those specific groups are asked for help out of respect for their unique experience or added symbolically. Neither was done or asked of me.

Even more disturbing is the fact that the proposal was presented by a non-Black person that didn’t even work on the proposal but took all the credit.

Now don’t get me wrong – I love when a non-Black person is an ally of the community. But when presenting initiatives to support the Black community, the voices of Black students should be centered and uplifted, not spoken on behalf of or placed in a supporting role. When I heard a council member from a different marginalized community discuss the hardships of the Black community, it seemed disingenuous. I, for one, have done my best to support other marginalized communities without speaking for them, as one never knows how it feels to walk in another person’s shoes.

Furthermore, other student government leaders and I had a meeting with the ruling slate regarding the exclusion of transfer and independent council members. When I mentioned that I felt it was wrong that I had emailed council members from the ruling slate and reached out to them in other ways and had no response, I wasn’t given a clear answer as to why this was the case. When I stated that I felt very excluded when I wasn’t added to the BBRC funding proposal, I was told I should’ve just reached out to be added. I am unsure how I am supposed to reach out to individuals who ignore all forms of communication I attempt.

In short, I believe some of the same organizations that were founded on principles of uplifting POC have silenced some in an effort to remain partisan and divide our campus. This has undoubtedly resulted in a less efficient and less tolerant student government. I have encountered several incidents this year in which multiple emails of mine were completely ignored by my fellow council members, who swore throughout last campaign season that they would create an inclusive environment if elected.

Ultimately, I write for accountability, as the ruling slate has and will continue to have great influence within student government. As student leaders and future leaders in America, it is essential that we be better than our predecessors, that we not let the divisions of partisanship push us away from one another because ultimately we all want one thing: a better future for our fellow students. It is important that we take actions such as these seriously. I am a Black, low-income, first-generation, nontraditional transfer student and a veteran. I represent a plethora of marginalized communities, yet the effects of partisan politics have pitted even my own fellow community members against me.

King is the USAC general representative 3.

Carl King Jr.