UCLA men’s basketball guard/forward Jake Kyman to enter transfer portal

Junior guard/forward Jake Kyman goes up for a layup against Washington State on Feb. 17. Kyman averaged 3.6 points per game across three seasons with UCLA men’s basketball. (Esther Li/Daily Bruin staff)

By Jon Christon

Days after the end of their season, the Bruins are losing a veteran.

UCLA men’s basketball announced Wednesday night that junior guard/forward Jake Kyman intends to transfer out of the program. Kyman played 80 games across three seasons for the blue and gold, finishing his time in Westwood with career averages of 3.6 points and 1.1 rebounds per game while knocking down 36.3% of shots from beyond the arc. 

“I just want to thank everyone at UCLA who has helped make the last three years an amazing experience,” Kyman said in a statement. “With that being said, I will be entering the transfer portal and look forward to the next chapter.”

Originally a three-star recruit for former coach Steve Alford, Kyman saw the most playing time his freshman year, averaging 12.5 minutes per game in the 2019-2020 season. The guard/forward scored a career-high 21 points in a game at Washington on Jan. 2, 2020, knocking down seven 3s to lead UCLA to victory.

However, Kyman couldn’t crack 10 minutes per game in his final two seasons, playing 9.4 minutes a night across his sophomore and junior campaigns. He marks the first Bruin to transfer out of the program in the last two seasons. 

“We would like to thank Jake for his contributions to our program, and we wish him all the best going forward,” said coach Mick Cronin in a statement. “Jake has been a great teammate and a first-class young man in his time as a Bruin. We are going to miss Jake, but as I told him, he is always welcome in Westwood and will always be part of the Bruin family.”

With senior guard David Singleton – one of the roster’s three seniors – expected to return for his fifth year of eligibility, UCLA started the offseason above the 13 scholarship player limit with three freshman recruits set to enter the program next season.

Kyman’s transfer puts the team back at the limit should redshirt senior forward Cody Riley and senior guard Jules Bernard not take their extra year of eligibility, but the Bruins are still waiting on professional decisions from multiple non-seniors as well. The blue and gold could also be the beneficiary of the other end of the transfer portal, as Cronin has brought in transfers in both of his offseasons with UCLA. 

Despite his transfer, Kyman said in a statement that he’ll always be part of UCLA.

“I have never been more proud to say I fulfilled my childhood dream of playing for those legendary four letters,” Kyman said in a statement. “I’ll always be a Bruin for life!”

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.