UCLA baseball extends winning streak with victory over Long Beach State

UCLA baseball freshman right-hander Thatcher Hurd throws a pitch. Hurd tossed five shutout innings against No. 25 Long Beach State on Tuesday to earn his first career win. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)

Baseball

No. 25 Long Beach State0
UCLA3

By Jay Fenn

Through his first two collegiate starts, Thatcher Hurd has struck out 23 batters in 10 innings.

On Tuesday night, the freshman right-hander struck out 12 while giving up two hits and allowing zero runs.

Fellow freshman Ethan Flanagan added seven punch outs of his own in four innings of shutout work, with the left-hander helping the Bruins to 19 strikeouts – the most they have had in a game this season.

“Both guys were just under control and really attacked the zone with multiple pitches,” coach John Savage said. “It was a big moment for both of those guys today.”

Behind the efforts of the freshmen duo, UCLA baseball (6-3) took down No. 25 Long Beach State (2-5) by a score of 3-0 at Jackie Robinson Stadium. A week after dropping both of their midweek games, the Bruins have extended their winning streak to four with their victory over the Dirtbags.

The blue and gold’s only runs of the game came off a three-run home run from freshman shortstop Cody Schrier in the bottom of the first inning. The freshman’s first collegiate home run scored graduate student left fielder Kenny Oyama and junior designated hitter Josh Hahn to give UCLA an early 3-0 lead.

Schrier said being able to hit his first home run as a Bruin at Jackie Robinson Stadium is something he will never forget.

“It was awesome,” Schrier said. “It’s something I have dreamed of for a while, so it was pretty cool that it happened tonight.”

Six days after striking out eight batters in the opening three innings of his first collegiate start, Hurd repeated the feat Tuesday with eight strikeouts again in the opening three frames.

The former No. 1 pitching prospect out of California said he took the mound not trying to do too much.

“Coach Savage always says go out there and be yourself,” Hurd said. “I made sure to catch my breath early and go pitch by pitch.”

Hurd ran into trouble in the fourth after a pair of singles and a walk loaded the bases with one out. The freshman got out of the jam with a strikeout and a fly out to the right to maintain the shutout.

After a three-up, three-down fifth inning, Hurd’s night came to an end when he was replaced by Flanagan.

(Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)
Freshman Ethan Flanagan throws a pitch. The left-hander took the mound for four innings of relief in UCLA baseball’s win over No. 25 Long Beach State on Tuesday, notching seven strikeouts without allowing a run. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)

Flanagan took over where Hurd left off, closing out the final four innings of the game without allowing a runner to reach first base. The performance was good for the freshman’s first save of his collegiate career, and it gave Hurd his first win donning the blue and gold.

Along with getting the win, Hurd said it was nice to see a fellow freshman be able to close the game out.

“Ethan did a hell of a job,” Hurd said. “That’s what he does, and I’m super happy for him.”

Flanagan – who started last Tuesday’s game against Pepperdine – has come out of the bullpen his last two outings and has allowed one hit through six relief innings.

Savage said although the left-hander will eventually make his way into the starting rotation, there is no clear timetable because of how well the other starters have performed.

“(Flanagan) looks like a starter,” Savage said. “He’s got multiple pitches to be a starter, but it’s nice having his impact coming out of the bullpen. His future is clearly as a starter.”

Jay Fenn | Sports staff
Fenn is currently a Sports staffer on the baseball beat. He was previously a reporter on the women's soccer beat and a contributor on the beach volleyball and men's and women's golf beats.