Women’s basketball heads to Pac-12 tournament, prepares for matchup against USC

Redshirt freshman forward Angela Dugalić drives to the basket against Colorado forward Mya Hollingshed. Since making her debut for UCLA women’s basketball on Feb. 11, Dugalić has 4.9 points per game, including eight per contest in her last three outings. (Marie Goldfarb/Daily Bruin)

Women's basketball

Pac-12 tournament
Wednesday-Sunday

Michelob Ultra Arena
Pac-12 Networks/ESPN2

By Francis Moon

Cori Close said certain words from the late John Wooden still ring in her mind.

“Coach Wooden used to say something to me that I don’t think I understood the power of until later,” the 11th-year coach said. “‘Make sure if you ever have a chance to lead a program, that it’s not just good for you, it’s not just good for your team or even the university, but it’s good for the baker, the banker and the total community that surrounds your team.’”

Without a bye for the first time in seven years, the Bruins will head to Las Vegas for the Pac-12 tournament this week needing four wins to win the championship and secure a bid for the NCAA tournament.

But after enduring injuries across the roster, as well as COVID-19 postponements and cancellations all season, Close said she makes sure she and her team keeps perspective and enjoys every moment with their supporters.

This week will mark the return of fans to the conference tournament after last season’s competition was played in a virtually empty stadium.

A really meaningful part of the experience of postseason play is to share it with your fans, and we missed them last year,” Close said.

No. 7 seed UCLA women’s basketball (13-11, 8-8 Pac-12) will match up with No. 10 seed USC (12-15, 5-12) on Wednesday evening in the first round. With a win, the blue and gold will advance to face No. 2 seed Oregon (19-10, 11-6) on Thursday evening.

The Bruins defeated the Trojans twice in the regular season, securing back-to-back double-digit victories in January to win their fifth-straight matchup in the all-time series, but UCLA will be facing a slightly different team this time around.

Last week, USC played without its leading scorer, forward Jordyn Jenkins – who is day-to-day with an injury – as well as the continued absence of regular starting forward Alissa Pili for personal reasons. The losses combined with the emergence of two freshmen, guard/forward Rayah Marshall and center Clarice Akunwafo, has caused a recent shakeup in the Trojans’ rotation as both were vaulted into the starting lineup in recent weeks.

Redshirt freshman forward Angela Dugalić said the Bruins are excited for the opportunity to beat their crosstown rivals for a third time this season and continue on the momentum built from last week’s wins over then-No. 12 Arizona and Arizona State.

“I’m super, super excited for playing USC,” Dugalić said. “I’m really hopeful and confident that we’re going to do good in the in the tournament.”

Oregon is coming off two losses in its last three games, but the Ducks handed the Bruins a double-digit defeat Feb. 16. The loss came in the Bruins’ third game in six days, however, and they are set to be healthier this time around.

Junior guard Camryn Brown, graduate student guard Jaelynn Penn and Dugalić have all made their return from extended injury-related absences in recent weeks.

Dugalić, who Close said has only been able to practice with the team three times this year, has averaged eight points in the last three games after putting up 2.5 points per contest in her first four matchups in the blue and gold. She also played upwards of 20 minutes for the first time in UCLA’s win over Arizona State on Saturday.

Graduate student guard Natalie Chou said these additions have provided a huge boost for the team’s morale and ability to perform on the court.

“It’s been really fun to have all those pieces back. Each single individual person is such a vital part to our team,” Chou said. “We want to be playing our best basketball come March, and I think with all these pieces that are coming back, we’re able to do that.”

Junior guard Charisma Osborne, another player who has battled injuries throughout the year, was named Pac-12 Player of the Week for the second time this season after averaging 17.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in UCLA’s two wins last week.

Close said the health and performance of the second-leading scorer in the conference will be vital to pulling off a string of upsets in the tournament.

“The reality is we go as Charisma goes,” Close said. “Even on one leg, she’s still one of the most explosive players in the conference, which is remarkable. Charisma is an elite player, period.”

Should the team advance to the semifinals, it will await the winner of No. 3 seed Washington State versus either No. 6 seed Utah or No. 11 seed California. The round will determine who will play in the Pac-12 championship, giving the Bruins a shot at a potential rematch of last season’s final against top-seeded Stanford.

But with the challenge of having to win four games in five days, Close said she is taking it one match a time.

“I’m working at four one-game seasons, and right now, I only got one game against USC,” Close said.

Tipoff against USC will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Michelob Ultra Arena.

Francis Moon | Sports senior staff
Moon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and women's tennis beats, while also contributing for Arts. He is a fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student.