UCLA women’s basketball to take on Oregon in rescheduled nonconference matchup

Redshirt senior guard Chantel Horvat drives past a defender. Horvat recorded season-highs in points and rebounds with 13 and nine, respectively, in UCLA women’s basketball’s most recent win over Washington on Sunday. (Jenny Xu/Daily Bruin)

Women's basketball

Oregon
Wedneday, 4 p.m.

Matthew Knight Arena
Pac-12 Networks

By Grace Whitaker

Three weeks ago, the Bruins were preparing to face the Ducks.

But less than 24 hours before tipoff, it was announced the matchup would be postponed – the third such instance for the blue and gold this season.

Though the contest counted as a forfeit for UCLA women’s basketball (11-9, 6-6 Pac-12), the Bruins will take on Oregon (16-8, 9-4) in Eugene on Wednesday afternoon in a rescheduled nonconference matchup.

Coach Cori Close said the game against the Ducks will be good preparation for the upcoming Pac-12 tournament.

“This is a great opportunity for us,” Close said. “We know that Oregon is going to be in the NCAA tournament, and we need opportunities to play and compete and beat an NCAA tournament team.”

This season, the Ducks have put up 72.5 points per game on 34.5% 3-point shooting and currently rank second in the conference standings. UCLA has four players averaging more than 10 points per game, with junior guard Charisma Osborne leading her team with 17.5 per contest, while forward Nyara Sabally leads three double-digit scorers for Oregon with 15.8 points per game.

Redshirt senior guard Chantel Horvat said the team is aware of how difficult the game will be, but it is ready for the challenge.

“We know it’s going to be a tough matchup,” Horvat said. “We know it’s tough conditions going up there to Oregon, especially playing in their arena (which brings) home-court advantage. So we just need to carry over a lot of things we’ve learned from this week and go out there and compete and hopefully get the win.”

The last matchup between the two teams was in Feb. 2021, and the Bruins defeated the Ducks at home 83-56. The Bruins hold a 37-34 lead in the all-time series and have won the last two games played at Matthew Knight Arena.

UCLA has won two of its past three games but lost three straight prior. The Bruins already have more conference losses than all of last season.

Osborne said there is a bright side to the losses since the adversity this season has brought the team closer.

“I think we just lean on each other,” Osborne said. “It does get really hard sometimes. I know Chantel always has my back so just leaning on each other (is important).”

Despite the recent losses and constantly shifting lineup because of injuries and the return of some players, Horvat said the Bruins are still hopeful to finish the regular season on a high note.

“We’ve got more things we want to do,” Horvat said. “We’re competitors, so a loss happens and we just want to get back out there.”

UCLA will tip off against Oregon on Wednesday at 4 p.m.

Grace Whitaker | Sports senior staff
Whitaker is currently a senior staff writer on the football, men's basketball and women's basketball beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, women's soccer, beach volleyball and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and beach volleyball beats.