Gymnast Emma Malabuyo joins all-around rotation in UCLA’s freshman-heavy lineup

Freshman Emma Malabuyo claps while competing on floor. Malabuyo has competed in the all-around twice in three meets for No. 22 UCLA gymnastics, putting up a 39.250 across all four events in the blue and gold’s win over Arizona on Sunday. (David Rimer/Assistant Photo editor)

By Nico Edgar

This post was updated Feb. 3 at 1:09 p.m.
It took two weeks for one Bruin freshman to earn her spot in the all-around.

After Emma Malabuyo competed in three events in No. 22 UCLA gymnastics’ (1-0) season-opening meet, coach Chris Waller penciled the freshman into all four events for the blue and gold’s following two meets.

Malabuyo is part of a freshman class that includes Brooklyn Moors, Ana Padurariu and Jordan Chiles, who have all made their collegiate debuts in the opening weeks of the season. In total, the freshmen have performed 31 of the Bruins’ 72 routines, with freshman Emily Lee potentially set to be added to that list in February, according to Waller.

Malabuyo – who leads the pack of freshmen with 11 routines so far – said improving her confidence has been critical early in the season, especially after the team posted a 194.850 in its season opener.

“I’ve focused a lot on building my confidence and on my landings,” Malabuyo said after a tri-meet Jan. 23. “I got some extra help from some of my teammates who gave me really good suggestions, which helped me work on everything.”

Malabuyo posted her first score above 9.900 in a UCLA leotard this past weekend with a 9.925 on beam against Arizona and received a perfect 10 from one judge for the routine. Her scores have trended upward since she posted a 9.675 on beam in the Bruins’ first meet. Malabuyo scored a 39.250 in the all-around Sunday as she added a pair of 9.825 scores on both vault and bars, marking her second straight meet with multiple scores of 9.800 or higher.

Waller said endless growth is possible for the five-time U.S. National Team member who committed to UCLA in eighth grade.

“When she can figure out how to bring joy to all of the events and to all the competition, I think she can go 39.800,” Waller said after the tri-meet Jan. 23. “I think that the sky is the limit for her. She’s clean, she’s powerful, she’s fun to watch (and) she has no limitations.”

Malabuyo’s upbeat floor routine has quickly earned praise in the gymnastics community and offers a stark contrast to Moors’ mafia-themed routine that has preceded it in the first two meets.

The freshman said she initially chose music inspired by senior Norah Flatley’s routine from the 2019-2020 season, which volunteer assistant coach BJ Das struck down. Instead, Das suggested an instrumental version of “Tightrope” by Janelle Monáe.

Her three-pass routine is characterized by a lasso swing that leads directly into a short burst of the Carlton dance before closing with a double pike tumbling pass.

When asked about Malabuyo’s floor routine, Waller pumped both his fists in the air and flashed a grin.

“Oh my gosh,” Waller said. “When you watch Emma do floor, it looks like she’s filled with effervescent bubbles. You can’t help but find yourself leaning forward, just smiling and dancing with her. She brings so much joy to the floor.”

In addition to leaving her coach on the edge of his seat at each competition, Malabuyo has left an imprint on one of the team’s most senior members. Senior Kendal Poston said it’s been a considerable boost to have the freshman class in Westwood after their path was complicated by COVID-19 and Olympics-related deferrals.

“I’m a couple years older than most of them, but to have girls on my team who have reached the pinnacle of gymnastics is amazing,” Poston said. “Being in the arena with Emma, Ana and Brooklyn, there is just so much respect in my heart for them, and I can’t wait to watch them step into their full potential as they learn that they’re invaluable to this team.”

Malabuyo said confidence from her teammates has played a large role in her early-season success.

“I leaned on my teammates because they believed in me,” Malabuyo said.

Nico Edgar | Sports staff
Edgar is currently a Sports staffer on the gymnastics beat. He was previously a contributor on the men's tennis beat.