Friday, Jan. 28, 2022

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLASundance 2022

UCLA football’s Greg Dulcich announces intentions to declare for 2022 NFL Draft

UCLA football redshirt junior tight end Greg Dulcich gets tackled versus Arizona on Oct. 9. Dulcich announced his intention to declare for the 2022 NFL Draft on Wednesday afternoon. (David Rimer/Assistant Photo editor)

By Jon Christon

This post was updated Jan. 5 at 9:57 p.m.

The Bruins have lost their two leading receivers in back-to-back days.

UCLA football redshirt junior tight end Greg Dulcich announced his intention to forgo his final two years of eligibility and declare for the 2022 NFL Draft on Wednesday afternoon via his social media. The announcement comes less than 24 hours after redshirt junior wide receiver Kyle Philips declared his intentions to enter the draft. 

“I am excited to announce that after having graduated from the greatest university on earth, I am declaring for the 2022 NFL Draft,” Dulcich wrote in his statement. “God bless you and thank you Bruin family!”

After redshirting his first year in Westwood with three games played, Dulcich suited up for 30 contests throughout his redshirt freshman, sophomore and junior seasons, including 17 starts.   

The former walk-on broke out in his redshirt sophomore season in 2020, in which he was named second-team All-Pac-12. Dulcich racked up 517 receiving yards and five touchdowns – both of which were team highs. 

“Thank you to Coach (Chip) Kelly and (tight ends/special teams) Coach (Derek) Sage for taking a chance on a walk-on and believing in me as a player and as a man, I would not be where I am today without you,” Dulcich wrote.

Dulcich followed it up in 2021 with a first-team All-Pac-12 campaign, ranking second on the team in receiving yards behind Philips with 725 yards and five touchdowns. The tight end finished the season with two games of 100 or more receiving yards, including a career-best nine-reception, 136-yard performance against Arizona State.  

Across the past three seasons, only Philips had more receiving yards and receiving touchdowns than Dulcich. 

“​​To my teammates, not only are you my best friends, you are my brothers for life. I love you all and will forever cherish the memories we have made together,” Dulcich wrote. “To Bruin Nation, thank you so much for all the love and support these past four years, my experience at UCLA is something I wouldn’t trade for the world.”

Dulcich marks at least the seventh Bruin who has announced his intentions to declare for the NFL Draft since the end of the regular season, joining Philips and senior defensive lineman Otito Ogbonnia as ones who still had eligibility remaining. 

Also on Wednesday, senior defensive back Jay Shaw announced he would be using his extra year of eligibility, granted by the NCAA because of the COVID-19 pandemic, to return to the Bruins. 

UCLA is still waiting on a career decision from senior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson, who could return to Westwood for one more season. 

Jon Christon | Sports editor
Christon is currently the Sports editor and a reporter on the men's basketball and football beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats and a reporter on the women's basketball and softball beats.
Help Wanted

Marketing intern wanted (paid)
Must be a senior majoring in marketing or similar (or a graduate student in a similar field)
Looking for someone to generate and execute a marketing plan to promote a mental health practice and new annex via both social media and traditional PR outlets
Position will pay $25/hour and intern will keep track of hours and submit a timesheet for payment
Contact David Buik @ [email protected]