UCLA football’s Kyle Philips declares for 2022 NFL Draft

UCLA football redshirt junior wide receiver Kyle Philips evades a defender after a reception against USC on Nov. 20. Philips announced his intention to declare for the 2022 NFL Draft on Tuesday. (Ashley Kenney/Photo editor)

By Jon Christon

This post was updated Jan. 5 at 9:53 p.m.

The Bruins’ top receiver is off to the professional ranks.

UCLA football redshirt junior wide receiver Kyle Philips announced his intention to declare for the 2022 NFL Draft on Tuesday afternoon. Philips had two years of eligibility left because of the COVID-19 pandemic but walked as part of the senior class ahead of UCLA’s season finale against California on Nov. 26. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Kyle Philips (@kylephilips)

“I am humbled and excited to announce that I will be declaring for the 2022 NFL Draft,” Philips wrote in a statement. “I look forward to this next season in my life and the opportunity to represent UCLA and San Diego in all of my future endeavors.”

The Bruins’ leading receiver in two of the last three seasons, Philips accumulated 1,821 receiving yards and 18 total touchdowns in his four seasons in Westwood. His 739 receiving yards in 2021 were a career high, as were his 10 receiving touchdowns. 

UCLA will also be losing its top punt returner in Philips, as the San Diego product has two return touchdowns to his name.

The wide receiver joins a number of Bruins who have declared for the 2022 NFL Draft since the end of the regular season. Philips and senior defensive lineman Otito Ogbonnia both announced their intentions of forgoing extra seasons of eligibility in the process. 

Redshirt senior defensive backs Qwuantrezz Knight, Obi Eboh and Cameron Johnson, along with redshirt senior linebacker Jordan Genmark Heath, have entered the draft as well but all had already exhausted their collegiate eligibility.

“Thank you to my teammates for the best four years of my life. It might not have ended how we would have liked but I am walking away grateful and with a full heart,” Philips wrote. “I’m so thankful to have been able to share a locker room with all of you and to be able to walk away as brothers with memories to last a lifetime.”

UCLA is still waiting on professional decisions from multiple other players, including senior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson and redshirt junior tight end Greg Dulcich.

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.