UCLA women’s basketball follows men’s basketball with pause on upcoming games

Basketballs sit on a shooting rack in a dormant Pauley Pavilion. The stadium will not see any UCLA men’s or women’s basketball in the coming week, as the pair of programs have announced pauses of team-related activities because of COVID-19 developments. (Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin staff)

By Jon Christon

This post was updated Dec. 24 at 12:48 p.m.

A pair of pauses will extend for the Bruins’ basketball programs. 

After UCLA men’s basketball announced a pause of team-related activities Dec. 17 because of “COVID-19 developments within the Bruins’ program,” UCLA women’s basketball followed suit with the same announcement Dec. 18, with both programs canceling all games between Dec. 17 and Wednesday. This included a matchup against Cal Poly for the men and games versus Ohio State and Cal State Bakersfield for the women.

Since then, the two programs announced further postponements. UCLA men’s basketball postponed games against Arizona and Arizona State while UCLA women’s basketball called off games against USC, Arizona State and Arizona. All of these games were set to take place between Dec. 28 and Jan. 2. 

While all of the nonconference contests will not be rescheduled, the conference clashes will take place at a later date. Most of the reschedulings will be announced after they are finalized by the Pac-12, though UCLA women’s basketball already announced that its original contest versus USC will be played Jan. 20. 

Neither team has played since Dec. 11. There is no public timetable for when team activities will resume.

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.