Men’s basketball matchup vs. Alabama State canceled because of COVID-19 protocols

Pauley Pavilion sits empty after No. 4 UCLA men’s basketball’s game against Alabama State was called off because of COVID-19 protocols Wednesday night. (Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin staff)

By Bryan Palmero

No. 4 UCLA men’s basketball’s (8-1, 2-0 Pac-12) scheduled home game against Alabama State (1-9) on Wednesday evening will not be played as scheduled because of COVID-19 protocols, according to a statement from the program. The Los Angeles Times reported that the matchup was canceled out of an abundance of caution.

Wednesday’s game was originally scheduled for 8 p.m. but was called off almost an hour prior to tipoff.

The decision comes after team officials announced coach Mick Cronin would not coach the Bruins’ contest versus the Hornets earlier in the day. 

Following the announcement of Cronin’s absence, a team spokesperson confirmed for The Bruin that no players would miss Wednesday’s game because of COVID-19 protocols.

This is the second time UCLA has seen a game called off because of COVID-19 protocols this season and the first since the blue and gold’s forfeit conference victory versus Washington, a matchup that was scheduled for Dec. 5.

With the game against Alabama State no longer happening, UCLA is next scheduled to play North Carolina in the CBS Sports Classic in Las Vegas on Saturday. 

Bryan Palmero | Daily Bruin senior staff
Palmero is a senior staff writer for Sports. He served as the assistant Sports editor on the softball, beach volleyball, women's volleyball, men's volleyball and men's golf beats from 2021-2022 and a Sports reporter on the beach volleyball and women's volleyball beats in 2021. He is a third-year mathematics and economics student.