Coach Mick Cronin to miss Alabama State game because of COVID-19 protocols

Coach Mick Cronin looks on during No. 4 @UCLAMBB’s victory over Colorado on Dec. 1. Cronin will not coach the Bruins on Wednesday night against Alabama State because of COVID-19 protocols. (Lauren Man/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Jon Christon

The Bruins are set to have a different look on the sidelines Wednesday night.

Coach Mick Cronin will not coach No. 4 UCLA men’s basketball’s (8-1, 2-0 Pac-12) home game versus Alabama State (1-9) because of COVID-19 protocols. Darren Savino, the Bruins’ associate head coach, will take Cronin’s place against the Hornets. 

No players will miss the game because of COVID-19 protocols, a UCLA official confirmed for The Bruin.

The announcement comes amid a wave of positive COVID-19 tests in professional sports. Over 70 NFL players tested positive Monday and Tuesday while it has been reported that the NBA is changing COVID-19 guidelines and protocols after a number of confirmed coronavirus cases.

UCLA has had one game canceled this year because of COVID-19 protocols, picking up a forfeit conference victory over Washington for a game scheduled for Dec. 5.

It is unclear how much time Cronin will miss or if he will be available for UCLA’s contest against North Carolina on Saturday. Savino has coached with Cronin for 14 seasons, including the past three seasons in Westwood.

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.