LA Metro expands rideshare service Metro Micro, adds Westwood zone

The Los Angeles Metro launched a ride-hailing service in the Westwood area. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Justin Jung

The Los Angeles Metro launched Metro Micro, a zoned ride-hailing service for short trips, in the Westwood area Sunday.

Similar to other ride-hailing services like Uber, Metro Micro provides an on-demand ride through the Metro Micro app, online or by phone within 15 minutes, according to LA Metro. However, the Metro Micro program only provides rides to and from locations inside its specified service area.

The Westwood zone will be available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and will include the UCLA campus, North Village, Westwood Village, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and nearby areas such as Sawtelle and Brentwood Glen. The LA Metro also has Micro zones in seven other areas, including LAX/Inglewood, Northwest San Fernando Valley and North Hollywood/Burbank.

[Related: LA Metro plans to open new stations in Westwood, considers metro stop at UCLA]

LA Metro is currently offering the service at a discounted rate of $1 per ride for until June, after which the price may be increased by the Metro Board.

All riders and drivers participating in the program are required to wear face masks during the ride, according to LA Metro.

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.